About SDL_ttf

Started by
2 comments, last by Sylveste 18 years, 3 months ago
I'm using the SDL_ttf library on my current game project, and would like to continue doing so in the future but today I started reading about the licensing... there are some things I would like cleared: Look here: http://jcatki.no-ip.org/SDL_ttf/SDL_ttf_1.html It says: "WARNING: There may be patent issues with using the FreeType library. Check the FreeType website for up-to-date details." WHAT?! I tried to read stuff from that website but found no clear answer.... Also, it says this in the "COPYING" file that came with the package: "However, linking a "work that uses the Library" with the Library creates an executable that is a derivative of the Library (because it contains portions of the Library), rather than a "work that uses the library". The executable is therefore covered by this License." And: "For an executable, the required form of the "work that uses the Library" must include any data and utility programs needed for reproducing the executable from it. " "you may also compile or link a "work that uses the Library" with the Library to produce a work containing portions of the Library, and distribute that work under terms of your choice, provided that the terms permit modification of the work for the customer's own use and reverse engineering" I'm not sure I understood... "Terms permit modification of the work.." Even if I make a commercial game one day using SDL_ttf I must allow others to modify it? Give them the source code?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Sylveste
Even if I make a commercial game one day using SDL_ttf I must allow
others to modify it? Give them the source code?

No -- SDL_ttf is LGPL. This means that you only need to provide the source to your program if you are statically linking with SDL_ttf. If you are dynamically linking (through a DLL, or SO file) you do not need to provide your source.
The key word there is 'Patent issues', note that it does not say licensing issues.
I believe this is because FreeType has on occasion been accused of infringing font patents held by Apple/Adobe/Microsoft, but I don't see any mention of these anymore on freetype's website, so I assume the have been resolved.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

From the SDL_ttf readme:

This library is available under the GNU Library General Public License,
see the file "COPYING" for details.

and from the copying file:

[This is the first released version of the library GPL. It is
numbered 2 because it goes with version 2 of the ordinary GPL.]

Guess they couldn't make it any more confusing...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement