• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Cinder

OpenGL Import 3Ds MAX Scenes & Objects

This topic is 4600 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How do I import 3D Studio MAX Scenes and Objects from a file to my openGL project? (as C++ Code) Thanks, Niklas.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
you need to do a plugin.

Cinder,

in fact: you can't import 3DSMAX .max files into your own applications; the reasons are simple: at first, 3DSMAX is a so called "procedural file format", meaning instead of having stored vertices/indices/ect. it's storing function calls and parameters for creating the geometric objects (imagine a sphere: instead of having the vertices/ect. in the file, you have a function call to 3DSMAX API beeing responsible for creating this sphere with the parameters in the file); even if you would be able to import/parse 3DSMAX files, you would have a problem executing the so called "modifier stack". the other reason is simply that discreet has not releases any file format specification to the public (additionally, they have some patents on the file format).

But, there are some opportunities to get what you want:
- you could write your own plugin for exporting the data to any other or your own fileformat
- you could use any existent export-plugin, delivered with 3DSMAX (.ASE exportes comes to my find)
- you could use any 3rd party export-plugin, for example .MD3 for Q3A meshes (or others)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!