Sign in to follow this  

Generalized Coordinates VS Constraint Jacobian Matrix?

This topic is 4355 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What exactly are you trying to do?

And what do you mean by Generalized Coordinates? If you are talking about Lagrangian mechanics then those are good for solving specific and well defined problems. Unfortunately they are almost useless in a general simulation.

According to this page: http://www.d6.com/users/checker/dynamics.htm
recommended in FAQ of this group there are to ways of doing Articulated Rigid Bodies simulation.
That's what I want to do.

I see... I never had the chance to implement an articulated body simulation using generalized coordinates so feel free to disregard what I am about to say.

If this is your first attempt at creating a physics engine then I would definitely go for constraints (either Lagrange multiplier or impulse based).

The information is freely available on the internet and it's much easier to understand.

The few papers that I did read about generalized coordinates in articulated body simulation were very obscure and "mathematical" and the worst part is that they all referenced some older work by Featherstone which is not available on-line. :)

Guest Anonymous Poster
check dynamech for generalized coordenated systems.
http://dynamechs.sourceforge.net/projects.html

This topic is 4355 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.