[.net] Article

Started by
6 comments, last by capn_midnight 18 years, 3 months ago
Hey everyone, Well this is not a core programming question but i would really appreciate any help on this issue. See the thing is that i have to write an article about 4-7 pages for a subject " Data Encyption and Security". The article has to be an informative / How to/ what is...type of a thing. What i need help in is deciding the topic. I am NOT sure about the topic for this article,as in, what cypher/encryption theory/protocol etc should i write about. So if anyone has something interesting , lets hear it.. Thankx
Advertisement
Interesting topic...though that's a REAL short length!

I would focus on a "consumer confidence" angle with regards to data encryption and security.

you could give high level overviews for the needs of corporations to create high levels of data reliability and security for their customers.

1. Online shopping needs to be rock-solid. The company will fold if it's discovered that shopper information is not secured.

2. Online banking. See #1

3. Online gaming. See #1 and #2. MMOG's who don't take steps to rival cheating hacks really run the risk of costing subscriptions. EQ, UO are good examples. WoW uses a client-side stealth program "The Warden" to help combat cheating attempts. So far it's successfull....(hey read your EULA people *grin*)

well, I was thinking more on the lines of describing some encryption algorithm like MD-5, TLS 1.0 or One Time Padding... or some new encryption technique that is coming up really fast.

How about the rainbow tables ?

Maybe reading this article gives you some new ideas:
http://lasecwww.epfl.ch/php_code/publications/search.php?ref=Oech03
Maybe a little too difficult.
So maybe you should name some important algorithms like DES, AES, RSA and point out the difference of symmetric/asymmetric cryptography. Also mention the different modes like ECB or CBC. Tell about how to generate the keys for those algorithms to mention MD5 other hashing functions and about how to create and remember strong passwords (i.e. the first letter of each word of a saying). Talk about the application of cryptography in things like SSH, HTTPS, HBCI. And present common libraries and tools to make use of cryptography (PGP, Java crypto API).
This can be done. My article needs to be focused on one particular topic so i think i'll pick an algo up and explain it inside out.

Thankx for the help.

why is this in the .NET forum?

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement