Sign in to follow this  

Need help setting up perfect dev environment.

This topic is 4352 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, I've been lurking here for about a year now, and posted the odd time, and I'm currently in college studying Computer Applications. But it is my ultimate goal to own my own game development company, and as such, one must take the leap into the unknown. And as we all know, we all can't jump into the deep end. We all can't have blistering 3D graphics in our first ever written game, so we have to start small. My problem is, that I'm trying to set up the perfect game development environment for Java and C++ 2D games. I have the Java environment installed, and BloodShed Dev C++ installed too. But I feel like I am missing something in my tiny little environment. So my question is, would one of you be willing to put up an extensive list of what I need to begin creating simple 2D side scrolling games, in which I can flex my 'muscles' of programming? Thanks very much for the help, and I really appreciate any help! Cheers, Hauk

I would say just to start working on projects and determine what you need for yourself as need dictates. I could list a lot of expensive programs that would make development easier, are they needed? No. Here are a few of the programs I am currently using:

- Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition (Free)
- MSPaint for basic 2D (Free - comes with windows)
- GIMP for more things (Free - www.gimp.org)
- GraphicsGale Free Editon for sprite based things (Free, do a search)
- SDL for 2D (www.libsdl.org)
- DirectX

- Java Development Kit
- Netbeans
- Ant (Java build tool from apache. ant.apache.org)
- J2ME development kit for mobile development

I also use various other programs like notepad, word for editing various text files etc.

Also, why is everyone worried about what programs they have to creat games? Just create! Sure all these graphics programs make everything easier, but I remember when I got started when I was a kid working in basic and I had to create my sprites by using data statements or self made Tile editors.

Since your in collage find out if you are eligable for the msdn academic alliance, if you are you might be able to download visual studio.

I would recomand either a bit about both
directx and opengl w/ sdl and related libraries for input, music and other functions.

Hmm, excellent, thanks guys!

I downloaded GraphicsGale, because I needed that for sprites(which are important), and I'm downloading SDL, I could never find a decent place to download that!

Anyone else any suggestions!

Thank you very much!

Hauk

This topic is 4352 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.