Sign in to follow this  

would a subscription to game developer magazine be worth it?

This topic is 4349 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I thought GDMag was free for US residents.

Anyway Ii bought the Online subscription for just $25/year and you receive a lik with your access to scanned pages (can print thenm in real size if you want). You get code snippets, tool reviews and in general, really interesting information. The only problem is that sometimes there is too much advertising.

But in general, yes, for the price its worthy.

Luck!
Guimo

I think it's free only if you are a professional working in the industry. (You have to supply the name of the company you work at). I agree, there's way too much advertising, but for $25 a year it's reasonable.

hmmm...
I can't stand a digital version so I'm thinking about the printed version that gets mailed to you
I'm in Canada so it would cost me 69 $ US
69 $ US is like 86 $ CAN
so is it still worth it at 86 $ ?
is the content very informative or is it all things I can google out myself ?

A lot of the content ends up on gamasutra - it all sort of comes down to how long you want to wait (and what you are willing to miss out on). They have a free sample up that's worth a look, should at least give you an idea as to what you can expect from it.

Speaking of which, just noticed that the new digital edition is up, best go check that out myself!

Hi,

We received it during 1 year ... And in my opinion, it's absolutely not worth the money we paid. A few issues had up to 50% advertising in them and none less than 30% !!! When you know how few pages there are, you're left with not much to read -_- And I was disapointed by a lot of articles. I hoped it would be more usefull as a programer.

Edit : the postmortems and a few technical articles (for example, the pathfinding one presented on the digital sample) are quite good. But if you're looking for technical articles, and stuff like that, I think your money would better go elsewhere ^^

I know that when I got them before at the store they had a good bit of advertising in them. Although some of the articles are very much worth 5 or 6 bucks for an issue here or there. I was at Boarders today and I didn't even see GD mag there. I dunno if they were out or if they stopped carrying it.

It's not worth it. I received it (for free) for a couple years, then never bothered to renew. CMP itself knows that Game Developer is stagnating; there's been a lot of discussion by Game Developer staffers with pros on how to make it more relevant to them.

Basically, you get a few fairly shallow product reviews, a postmortem, a bit of ideological posturing, the soapbox, and advertising. *yawn* GamaSutra's faster to access, cheaper, sorted, searchable... and it contains all the relevant GDmag content from the past several years. For free.

Spend your $25 elsewhere.

Same here. I've been getting it for free for who-knows-how-long. I look at some of the articles, seperate out the issues with some interesting stuff in it, and store the rest for bathroom reading.

I wouldn't pay for it :P

Dr Dobb's is much more relevant to me (as a programmer).

Eighty bucks is pretty steep. I don't think it's worth it. It's a good magazine but to be honest, I think it's starting to slip up. The articles are less and less relevant. I think they need to expand with larger issues with more content since they are trying to meet everyone's needs in an ever expanding industry. I know it's not super feasible -- especially when they are giving away so many free issues but I don't read mine very much any more. I find the articles posted on gamasutra.com far more useful.

[quote]Original post by Grafalgar
I look at some of the articles, seperate out the issues with some interesting stuff in it, and store the rest for bathroom reading.[quote]

hahaha! Same here. :p

They have nice covers....more i can´t remember.
But i wouldn´t pay for nice covers (i paid 99$ to receive that mag in Germany).

GameStar started something like GDMag here. Called GameStar/dev. And if we have the chance to choose between some game development mags, you should have a lot of good game development mags in USA or Canada to choose from.

I, like some others, have been getting it free for a few years and I think I am being over charged. . .

But seriously, I think Oluseyi is dead on target here. It is at times an iteresting read once you sift through the junk but I would spend my money elsewhere.

I'd say, save your money.

The GDmag of 2 years ago that I used to buy, was a showcase for numerous ads, tools I'll never be able to afford, and schools that are nowhere near my location thus that I will never attend. The articles were good, but there weren't enough of them to warrant buying more than a few issues a year which piqued my interest.

There are multiple websites that can get you the same type of content, for free (or better yet, put your money into this site, in order to encourage more content here which benefits the community as a whole).

Guest Anonymous Poster
I was a subscriper a lot of years, but in the last years the useful content is smaller and smaller. Also I had every time trouble with the renewal, because of "wrong" price or other things, their subscripe-handling company really sucks. Than after they double the subscriptionprice I did not renewed the subscription.
When I look at the issues I missed, I really dont miss anything useful. I only bought one issue via their digital edition in the last time. But I am not really satisfied with the quality of this digital edition nor with the content of the article I was interest in.
I think the best is to look at their site what the new issues are about, and only buy a single issue when it can be usefull to you.

Back in the early days (many years ago) GD was a pretty decent mag. I would read them cover to cover. They used to have a LOT more content aimed at coders.

These days it's all advertising, or articles that amount to veiled advertising. There's hardly any content for coders, and what little there is is usually bad, wrong, or trivial. If I wasn't getting it for free I certainly would not be getting it.

This topic is 4349 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.