would a subscription to game developer magazine be worth it?

Started by
17 comments, last by YellowMaple 18 years, 3 months ago
Eighty bucks is pretty steep. I don't think it's worth it. It's a good magazine but to be honest, I think it's starting to slip up. The articles are less and less relevant. I think they need to expand with larger issues with more content since they are trying to meet everyone's needs in an ever expanding industry. I know it's not super feasible -- especially when they are giving away so many free issues but I don't read mine very much any more. I find the articles posted on gamasutra.com far more useful.
Advertisement
Original post by Grafalgar
I look at some of the articles, seperate out the issues with some interesting stuff in it, and store the rest for bathroom reading.

hahaha! Same here. :p
They have nice covers....more i can´t remember.
But i wouldn´t pay for nice covers (i paid 99$ to receive that mag in Germany).

GameStar started something like GDMag here. Called GameStar/dev. And if we have the chance to choose between some game development mags, you should have a lot of good game development mags in USA or Canada to choose from.
I, like some others, have been getting it free for a few years and I think I am being over charged. . .

But seriously, I think Oluseyi is dead on target here. It is at times an iteresting read once you sift through the junk but I would spend my money elsewhere.
SDBradley
CGP
"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read." ~Mark Twain
I'd say, save your money.

The GDmag of 2 years ago that I used to buy, was a showcase for numerous ads, tools I'll never be able to afford, and schools that are nowhere near my location thus that I will never attend. The articles were good, but there weren't enough of them to warrant buying more than a few issues a year which piqued my interest.

There are multiple websites that can get you the same type of content, for free (or better yet, put your money into this site, in order to encourage more content here which benefits the community as a whole).

I was a subscriper a lot of years, but in the last years the useful content is smaller and smaller. Also I had every time trouble with the renewal, because of "wrong" price or other things, their subscripe-handling company really sucks. Than after they double the subscriptionprice I did not renewed the subscription.
When I look at the issues I missed, I really dont miss anything useful. I only bought one issue via their digital edition in the last time. But I am not really satisfied with the quality of this digital edition nor with the content of the article I was interest in.
I think the best is to look at their site what the new issues are about, and only buy a single issue when it can be usefull to you.
Back in the early days (many years ago) GD was a pretty decent mag. I would read them cover to cover. They used to have a LOT more content aimed at coders.

These days it's all advertising, or articles that amount to veiled advertising. There's hardly any content for coders, and what little there is is usually bad, wrong, or trivial. If I wasn't getting it for free I certainly would not be getting it.
so I guess I'll be buying another book instead. good thing I asked here first before I went and got a subscription. :)
I feel that there's not enough content for the money you pay. The magazine is extremely thin and like others have mentioned a lot of it is advertisements.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement