would a subscription to game developer magazine be worth it?

Started by
17 comments, last by YellowMaple 18 years, 3 months ago
I'm just curious. the magazine looks interesting but I wanted to check other peoples opinions before I got a subscription.
Advertisement
I thought GDMag was free for US residents.

Anyway Ii bought the Online subscription for just $25/year and you receive a lik with your access to scanned pages (can print thenm in real size if you want). You get code snippets, tool reviews and in general, really interesting information. The only problem is that sometimes there is too much advertising.

But in general, yes, for the price its worthy.

Luck!
Guimo

I think it's free only if you are a professional working in the industry. (You have to supply the name of the company you work at). I agree, there's way too much advertising, but for $25 a year it's reasonable.
hmmm...
I can't stand a digital version so I'm thinking about the printed version that gets mailed to you
I'm in Canada so it would cost me 69 $ US
69 $ US is like 86 $ CAN
so is it still worth it at 86 $ ?
is the content very informative or is it all things I can google out myself ?
A lot of the content ends up on gamasutra - it all sort of comes down to how long you want to wait (and what you are willing to miss out on). They have a free sample up that's worth a look, should at least give you an idea as to what you can expect from it.

Speaking of which, just noticed that the new digital edition is up, best go check that out myself!
Hi,

We received it during 1 year ... And in my opinion, it's absolutely not worth the money we paid. A few issues had up to 50% advertising in them and none less than 30% !!! When you know how few pages there are, you're left with not much to read -_- And I was disapointed by a lot of articles. I hoped it would be more usefull as a programer.

Edit : the postmortems and a few technical articles (for example, the pathfinding one presented on the digital sample) are quite good. But if you're looking for technical articles, and stuff like that, I think your money would better go elsewhere ^^
I know that when I got them before at the store they had a good bit of advertising in them. Although some of the articles are very much worth 5 or 6 bucks for an issue here or there. I was at Boarders today and I didn't even see GD mag there. I dunno if they were out or if they stopped carrying it.
It's not worth it. I received it (for free) for a couple years, then never bothered to renew. CMP itself knows that Game Developer is stagnating; there's been a lot of discussion by Game Developer staffers with pros on how to make it more relevant to them.

Basically, you get a few fairly shallow product reviews, a postmortem, a bit of ideological posturing, the soapbox, and advertising. *yawn* GamaSutra's faster to access, cheaper, sorted, searchable... and it contains all the relevant GDmag content from the past several years. For free.

Spend your $25 elsewhere.
I get it for free. I wouldn't pay for it. I mostly just skim it, but occasionally there are articles worth reading.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Same here. I've been getting it for free for who-knows-how-long. I look at some of the articles, seperate out the issues with some interesting stuff in it, and store the rest for bathroom reading.

I wouldn't pay for it :P

Dr Dobb's is much more relevant to me (as a programmer).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement