Sign in to follow this  

Game engines that do not require an OS

This topic is 4353 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have recently been trying to make inroads into development for arcade systems. I have noted that some people like taito and siebu kaihatsu are using pc based hardware now for their arcade platforms, even sega are looking at using linux based systems for their aurora hardware - a low end replacement for the naomi. This has got me thinking, are there any game engines that do not require an os, free or not? i.e are there game engines that will boot the pc system directly into your game? I know that such a system would be dependant on finite hardware combinations etc etc etc, but im interested to see whats out there.

There has to be some form of an OS...even if its built into the game. A friend and I did it for a portable "system" we made a few years ago. But no I dont know of any commercial ones, or what the point of one would be.

There are versions of Linux that boot from the cd - apparently some game developers are looking to perhaps put their game on such a cd so that it will run on any x86 platform, no matter what OS (or lack of OS) is installed on there already. I think I heard that a prototype of this already existed somewhere but I don't know any more than that.

It's not that difficult to write a bootstrapper etc, but the hard part is getting anything done without any of the OS features you're so accustomed to. No file system, no hardware support (i.e. write your own drivers), you're totally in the void. Perhaps you could use some BIOS interrupts but that would be it. Too much work for one game, therefore Linux seems like a good alternative.

This topic is 4353 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.