[web] Search or Send info from a web page

Started by
2 comments, last by Sander 18 years, 3 months ago
Hi, i have to a system for my school that does this: When a student goes badly in his/her performance in some course, the professor can enter a web page , where they can fill a type of form indicating the ID of the student and the key of the course, and when filling this, if the student resides in the dormitories of the university (there are 5 dormitories), an email is sent to "advisor" of his dormitory saying to him that that student goes bad in his performance . In case that he is not resident of any dormitory, the mail arrives to another person (i dont know who will be yet). The search to see if the ID of the student is in some dormitory will be obtained from a text file that will be something like this: ID|name|dormitory|etc..... they dont want an applet. I heard that i can do it with SERVLETS or JSP, but i know NOTHING about that, so.... Can someone tell me how to do that? where to start? what do i need? some good examples similar to this? tutorials? I dont want the code, just some good orientation on how to do that. But if someone wants to program it i wont get mad hehehe. thanks,
Advertisement
You need some kind of server-side scripting language for this. PHP would be good. ASP too. Go to w3schools PHP or ASP tutorial.

In the script, read in the text file, split it on \n (newlines). Then cycle through the rows, splitting on the | and search for the student name. Then check the associated dormatory. I suppose that you also need a list of e-mail addresses for all dormatories somewhere. Then compose a mail in the script and send it off.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

thanks a lot,
but i think it may take more time learning php or asp than some "add-ons" to java. Besides, i only have 2 weeks and i have another project where i have to do a 2D game for the same date....

so, you know how to do it with servlets or jsp?
Sorry. I never used JSP or servlets before.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement