Sign in to follow this  

rusty noob

This topic is 4351 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm near my college graduation in Computer Science and I am seriously thinking about game programming as a path of employment,only problem is I'm a returning student who hasn't accually programmed in about a year. I still have a pretty solid knowledge of c++ and software engineering, but I am very very rusty at programming, any ideas about how to get back into programming for gaming?

Yeah, with ideas! Pick a reasonable game to write by yourself like Tetris, Breakout or some other, yet similar one. Then write out your design and technical document for it as best as you can. Then simply choose your platform and write it. Very simple, you just have to challenge yourself a little bit so that you can get back into the swing of things.

If you need some graphics, I might be able to help you out in this department. For free of course.

I'm fairly rusty in my programming too, and I'm trying to get back into the swing of things.

My approach is just to dive in and program something. If you're aiming to program games, then attempt a simple game. It doesn't matter if the code is horrible, as the goal is more to remember what you've previously learnt. An example of something pretty simple that I wrote in a week to get back into the swing of things is the game I'm presently linking in my signature (Pierre and the Fish). Make sure you don't pick something too ambitious or you'll get too tied up in the engineering side of things, and not on the programming.

This topic is 4351 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.