How can I post a game?

Started by
11 comments, last by massive-war 18 years, 3 months ago
I dont' have my own server or anything, so how do I post something? Thanks everyone, Beloved Massive-war
A true American.One who supports his government.Is ambitious, successful, and hardworking.The direct definition of a conservative... the ones who actually get stuff done in this country.Long live Americans.
Advertisement
it's 1.3 megs
A true American.One who supports his government.Is ambitious, successful, and hardworking.The direct definition of a conservative... the ones who actually get stuff done in this country.Long live Americans.
google.com
here's the link. It's a 1.3 mb rar file

Clicky!

Anyways, I did some graphical work to try and determine what I want my character to look like (while animated)

Controls are as follows:

-standard 'wasd' keyset
-Left Ctrl attacks
-can use combinations of wasd to move diagonally (there's 8 directions total)
-tapping 'r' will make the character run, and tapping 'r' again will make him walk--you can do this repeatedly

so I have a couple questions:

1)if you mess with it enough you'll notice some flickering between animation frames. I'm not sure what's causing this, but I thought I'd ask

2) Say I wanted to add collision detection for only the sword. How would I go about doing that? Do I have to learn all that vector crap and see if the vector is in contact with an enemy?

3) isometric tiles.... I've done 2D before, but doing animations for isometric is something new. CAn you recommend anythign to help me make my tileset isometric (books, articles, anything)?

Thanks,

Massive-war
Your game opened up a blank black screen with an unique cursor, and that's all. How it is supposed to run ?.
--> The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones <--
you click on the movement keys (w, a, s, or d), or the run button ('r') or the attack button ('lctrl')

read the post above

Massive-war
Quote:Source: your game
This application has failed to start because MSVCP71D.dll was not found...
Your character didn't show up until I pressed one of directional keys. At first I had thought it weren't working.

Quote:Original post by massive-war
1)if you mess with it enough you'll notice some flickering between animation frames. I'm not sure what's causing this, but I thought I'd ask

OpenGL itself doesn't support VSync-ing, but one of it's extensions does. You may follow this link for an introduction of wglSwapIntervalEXT extension. For OpenGL extension manager, you may try GLee.

Quote:
2) Say I wanted to add collision detection for only the sword. How would I go about doing that? Do I have to learn all that vector crap and see if the vector is in contact with an enemy?

I guess it is the way to go, you may predefine sets of convex polygon with each sprite. They don't need to be extremely precise. For tutorials on 2D polygon collision detection, I find Oliii's tutorials suits your need.

Quote:
3) isometric tiles.... I've done 2D before, but doing animations for isometric is something new. CAn you recommend anythign to help me make my tileset isometric (books, articles, anything)?

You may find a lot on [google] with "OpenGL" "Isometric" "Tutorial" (sort of) keywords. JTippetts made a tutorial on this topic.
--> The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones <--
Wow, that was all the information I need. Thank you skeleton.

As for the OpenGL part: I'm currently using only SDL. I guess I just wanted a basic animation system going so I had something to show in the minimal space.

I just dont' knwo what system to use. I mean, DirectX has so much stuff, yet it's so confusing to use in an actual game (in my opinion, but then again I haven't really worked with it). Is OpenGL like SDL where you basically use the API within the game, rather than use the game within the API?

Although, my guess is that DirectX is like beginning programming. YOu don't get good at actual game programming until you've actually programmed games, rather than reading books again and again.

Is DirectX really like that? Is it easier than it looks?

Massive-war
Flicker can occur if you're drawing your SDL_Surface to the screen more than once per game cycle (note that I haven't checked out your executable, so I can't say with authority that that's what's occurring). Your main loop should look something like this (working from memory here since I don't have my code handy):
while (true)  updateAllObjects();  screen->drawBox(0, 0, SCREEN_WIDTH, SCREEN_HEIGHT, 0x000000); //Draw black box to screen  drawAllObjectsToSurface(screen);  SDL_Flip(screen);

Er, that's almost certainly wrong somewhere in there. But anyway, assuming you're using SDL_DOUBLEBUF, you should only be calling SDL_Flip once per main loop. If you call it twice (e.g. once after wiping the screen surface to black and once after drawing all the game objects) then you'll get flicker.
Jetblade: an open-source 2D platforming game in the style of Metroid and Castlevania, with procedurally-generated levels

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement