Sign in to follow this  

Solaris multi platform development

This topic is 4357 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there! I'm in the process of planning a (C++) project that i'm going to tackle in the very near future (something like a business app with a bit of scientific stuff going on in the background +g+ something along the lines of a business analysis/forecasting/decision making tool). I decided that all the graphics capabilities that i need can/should be done without using Microsoft .net windowsforms or WPF for Vista. on windows gdi+ would suffice. To learn a bit of working with a new OS and the favoured development tools i want to develop my app under Solaris 10 (i got some unix experience but only from a normal user kind of view). My question is, is there a possibility to develop under solaris and then rebuild for windows or other unix derivates apart from solaris? (no, i can't ship the source and have the user build it.) basically the only external library i will use is boost. that information would be very valuable to me as i don't want to put myself into the corner. i'm very accustomed to developing under windows using windows forms, borland vcl and mfc since the early dasys.. but i always feel that i'm leaving out quite a number of users that way which there's no real reason for. It would also be nice to hear from anyone who could confirm that it is not only theoretically possible (i don't have any doubts that it is not) but also feasible to do in practice (my two areas of concern are networking (using boost asio prototype) and gdi+ style graphics (QCanvas from Qt or gdi+ under windows does it for me). best regards, simon

Although gcc does have some cross-compilation capabilities, you'll avoid a lot of headaches by building your source separately on each target platform. Use a portable build system like scons, custom makefiles or autotools. MinGW or Cygwin can run these under Windows. Portable source code control systems like Subversion may make it more convenient to do testing and fixes on other platforms.

Sign in to follow this