Sign in to follow this  

terrain engine?

This topic is 4356 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

guys, where can i find a simple terrain engine in dx? with the following specs - implemented using anykind of LOD (GMM,Quadtree,Chunked) - textured with high detail(eg. texture splatting) - doesnt use any shaders (since my machine doesnt support one) I really need this one for sample presentation to my boss's boss, since he wants us to research on these things and only gave us small amount of time. we just need to show him some sample with the code ofcourse and learn from those code later(after we present it). Pls bear with us on this. thanks and more power to you guys

i got a GMM terrain class that i can give you, it uses OpenGL though but it shouldn't be too hard to port over to D3D(im sure i can give u some pointers). For texturing it uses a regular texture map and uses a detail map.

yes but don't forget you don't have to apply texture splatting dynamically. Although i do only use 1 texture that texture was originally made up of many textures and the "texture splatting" takes place in a terrain editor to create the "final" texture. I use a texture map that is of the exact same size as my terrain.

ofcourse you may prefer to do it dynamically.

go here and take a look ...www.freeworld3d.org

it is a very nice terrain editor and soconne(the author) gives away a SDK that contains a GMM class. This is the terrain editor i use and the GMM code would not be too hard to port to D3D8 and/or D3D9.

If the SDK is no longer online i am more than happy to send it to ya or even help port it if you like.

Also if that is not what you have in mind, try this site http://www.futurenation.net/glbase/projects.htm

im sorry that site is OpenGL too but he has some documentation about his texture splatting that he uses and also his GMM code that he uses.

anyway here r a few screenies from some of my stuff, sorry i can't take any decent one's right this second because all my code is at work

http://nutterx.customer.netspace.net.au/images/hut.JPG
http://nutterx.customer.netspace.net.au/images/water.jpg

that is the same heightmap and it is 1025x1025 with a step size of 2 ..same size as the training level on FarCry.

hope that helps.

This topic is 4356 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.