Sign in to follow this  

model format for 3D RTS

This topic is 4351 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

were planning to use dx in our project and i understand that there is already a 3D format supported for dx which is the X format. is this good in big real-time games? what other format can u suggest for an 3D RTS type of game. PS. well our game is not really an 3D RTS like WC3 or Generals, its like a chess game with wizards and stuff (i knw u guys cn picture it out already)

There are loads of formats, but as far as I know none of them support every thinkable feature. Example: DirectX-format (*.X) doesn't support Inverse Kinematics.

Some other note: Most formats use ASCII-characters to define a coordinate. The disadvantage of that is you need to convert it first to a float or int. This conversion is CPU-consuming. Advantage: it doesn't matter if your OS is working in little-endian or big-endian. You weight out what is more important.

I always prefere my own file format, which are always different in every project (I must say, they get an update every project, so they are getting more advanced, they support more every update).

If you are just starting with DirectX and this is just a try-out project, then I would say, use the *.X format, because the function to load it into in ID3DXMesh already exists, it saves time, but it could never hurt writing your own format.

Good luck,

Regards,

Xeile

This topic is 4351 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.