Unusual problem with writing an output file.

Started by
3 comments, last by Zahlman 18 years, 3 months ago
Hi. I'm trying to get MS Visual C++ 8 to build my library. My problem is that MSVC refuses to write my library to the output directory. COMPILER ERROR: LIB : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file '..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\Library\System\System\x86_Win32_MSVC8\I32bit_ASCII_F64bit\stdio_stdlib_stdio_direct_stdio_dll\System.lib' I tried as much of the path as I could get to work, and ended up with: output path = ..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\Library\System\System\x86_Win32_MSVC8\I32bit_ASCII_F64bit\stdio_stdlib_stdio I think the path is just too long for MSVC8 to handle. Has anyone else ever come across this before? Can anyone think of another explanation? Thanks for all assistance. Si
Advertisement
Have you double-checked the number of '..', and the corresponding absolute path?
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Yes, and that path was generated by using windows file browsing (and double-checked vs explorer cut/paste) so I'm sure it's right. (The shortened path is otherwise identical and it works). Thanks anyway.

I have moved the drive, deleted and replaced the directory, renamed but kept the same length etc, checked write access, still no go.

Kinda annoying to have to do a manual move every time, I might see about using command-line make with MSVC Compiler if I can't get it to go.

Actually, I believe the Boost people ran into the same problem. Their solution was to use shorter names...
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Is is reasonable to remove the ..'s by using an absolute path in your case? :s

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement