Sign in to follow this  

vc++ 6.0 stopped linkng incrementely???

This topic is 4356 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, today I tried to do some c++ and work on my game engine, but oddly, whenever I press the build button, it goes through all the files/sources in my engine, even though I changed only one .cpp file. even worst, when I just press the build button and then press the execute button, it asks to rebuild the whole stuff again, as if I didn't build it. I checked the settings, and it has the incremental linking on. so I don't really know what happened, I even reinstalled visual c++ 6.0 with no difference. so please, does any body know how to fix this probleme. it is really urgent since I have to wait 10min for building whenever I change a word in my code.

Incremental linking only works under certain conditions (check msdn for exactly what conditions) if those conditions are not satisfied it's automatically disabled, incremental linking should be disabled in release builds anyways.

To prevent having to rebuild the entire project (therefore decreasing build times) try modulizing your project into a number of workspaces that generate static/dynamic libraries where the primary workspace only needs to link them in at link/run-time. Also i can't remember if VC++ 6.0 supports this (and i doubt it does) but in VC++ 8.0/7.1 you can enable minimal rebuild.

On side note you should not be using VC++ 6.0 any more period, it's offically a defunct product. The reason why is VC++ 6.0 came about during C++ ISO standardization that was about ~9 years ago, it has poor standard compliance, it's template support is incomplete and what support there is some of it's behaviour is (badly) incorrect. Also VC++ 6.0's implementation of the C++ standard library is poor partly because VC++ 6.0 is a poor C++ compiler and partly because advance techniques and idioms where not around then and/or are not possible (impossible infact) in VC++ 6.0 because it's template support is incomplete and (mostly) incorrect.

[Edited by - snk_kid on January 12, 2006 4:32:06 AM]

About the new compiler, if you have 100 spare USD, VC++ 7 (2003, .NET) is what I got off of Amazon.com, I have not had any ISO standards issues with it and it works great for everthing I do.

This topic is 4356 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.