I made a morpg

Started by
7 comments, last by Staffan E 18 years, 3 months ago
Really, its what someone expects from a morpg. You are a character that runs around, slays monsters and gain experience. nothing more... I found the sourcecode from it and I was writing it 4 years ago. Its written for Unix/Linux in the language tcl/tk. after you start the server, you should change the "set SERVER" line to the ip of your computer it has a server window with the map , and the client has a characterwindow, a spell-window and a view window. currently its all in german, its slow, ugly, bad code but it works :) i made a screenshot rpg.png (70k) but hey, its free. if you want it, download it at http://home.arcor.de/cybergolem/ if you have questions write me at: christian.braunschuh@rzf.fin-nrw.de [Edited by - cybergolem on January 12, 2006 4:50:04 AM]
Excuse my english, I am only German
Advertisement
that screenshot scares me
It doesn't sound like a MORPG, how is it multiplayer/massive? Also is it played online (the O). I haven't played it, but is it role playing? If not then it as a G (game). This is not to be negative, but you might have got the wrong impression of what a MORPG is.
Quote:Original post by CTar
It doesn't sound like a MORPG, how is it multiplayer/massive? Also is it played online (the O).

There is both a client and a server. That would cover the 'O', and doesn't make the 'M' too much of a stretch.

Quote:I haven't played it, but is it role playing?

And as a pen-and-paper RPG player, I am of the opinion that "Computer RPGs" aren't RPGs at all [smile].

Quote:This is not to be negative, but you might have got the wrong impression of what a MORPG is.

I think he's got it right at the core, if only in a tongue-in-cheek manner. The rest is just window-dressing.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
an MMORPG is an Online RPG with support for more then one server or something like that there is a class of games called ORPG
From wikipedia :
A MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game) is an online computer role-playing game in which a large number of players can interact together or against one another in the same game at the same time. An MMORPG follows a client-server model in which players, running the client software, are represented in the game world by an avatar

My opinion of a MORPG was the same , just WIHTOUT the MASSIVE in front, but after looking in Wiki, this word doesn`t exist. But I still think it describes it as best. ( you can have more then one client connected to the server, interact, kill each other and chat)

My intension was only to give what I have created 6 years ago to give others a start. But, well, sorry that I didn't give you all the sourcecode of Everquest 3.
Excuse my english, I am only German
I haven't looked at the code, but you admitted it was bad code. You shouldn't start someone off on the wrong foot with making them use bad code. After 6 years of programming, you probably could rewrite sections to make it faster and more understandable for someone wanted to take off with it.

Congrats on a working online game though. Not too many get far in that direction [smile]
I must agree. Anything that works online is magic to me, lol. I programmed once for a network, in C#, and it confuzzled me to death. Congrats on a working online thingy.

~David
http://www.xpertstudios.com/Advanced Programmer, C#Intermediate, C, Novice, C++
Quote:Original post by Fruny
And as a pen-and-paper RPG player, I am of the opinion that "Computer RPGs" aren't RPGs at all [smile].

Seconded. To be honest game publishers these days seem to attach the RPG suffix to anything with a charachter development system. If there ever was a strict definition of an RPG no one seems to be following it.

Quote:Original post by cybergolem
My intension was only to give what I have created 6 years ago to give others a start. But, well, sorry that I didn't give you all the sourcecode of Everquest 3.

Ignore them. I think it is great that you are willing to share your code, especially if it covers network programming which is not a trivial concept. I'll rate you up for your contribution.
Hack my projects! Oh Yeah! Use an SVN client to check them out.BlockStacker

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement