Sign in to follow this  

[web] What's the best .Net (preferably 2) web portal software you've come across?

This topic is 4336 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I'm looking into portal builder tools, .Net 1 / 2 & C#. I'm after any recommendations from people whom have personal experience using them. I'm not interested in php/Java cms's, just .Net ones. That's not a slight on Java or php or anything else, that's just the technology that has been chosen. I'm trying to find one that has been coded with database independance (rather then SQL Server dependance that they mostly seem to have), and preferably open source. We may have to try and integrate with Ingres as the database. Dot Net Nuke seems pretty mature, but it's .Net 1.1 and vb (that's not a dig at vb either, just we use C# for everything else .Nety) - and seemingly SQL Server dependant. So I'm open to suggestions within the stipulations above! Cheers, Paul

Hmm, well you could try RainbowPortal. Its based on MS IBUYSPY, open source and C#, but don't think its database independent (SQL Server). Version 1.4.* was kinda buggy but i think they've made large improvements since then!

I have been using Community Server for a while now, and have just recently tried to move over to DNN. I know that DNN is VB.Net and like you I prefer C#, but you can develop DNN Modules in C# and work them into the framework. I did this using the 4.02 version of the DNN System and have it running on ASP.Net 2.0.

In the end though It looks like I will be coding my own solution as both of them just do not fit my needs.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Have you checked out www.dotnetnuke.com of if you are willing to try a Java one I like EPiX

Tim

Tbe best Java one seems to be Liferay, we're trying to find something that is feasable to extend to authenticate against our stuff and be independant from SQL Server, in .Net 2.

We are still debating rolling our own portal, as the .Net 2 stuff now comes with so many things built in.

Thanks for input though.

This topic is 4336 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.