Genesis3D

Started by
3 comments, last by Ecko 23 years, 3 months ago
Sorry for the misleading subject title, but hahahahahaha ok now that I got that out of my system here is an honest question. Is genesis really worth learning or should I focus my attention on another API? I already know DX and OpenGL and have worked on several engines... ----------------------------------------------------------- "If I wanted to hear the pitter patter of little feet I would put shoes on my cat" "Yeah sure women can fake orgasms, but men can fake whole relationships" Edited by - furby100 on January 12, 2001 4:31:08 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------"People who usualy use the word pedantic usualy are pedantic!"-me
Advertisement
You cheap bastard, I want my free beer!!!!!

Anyway, why don''t you make your own engine

Seriously.. if you want to use one of the 3d engines out there, I would not suggest genesis. Try Auran Jet or Jet3d.
Utterly childish and ridiculous. I''ll be watching you.

Just because you''re outnumbered doesn''t mean you''re wrong.

sharewaregames.20m.com

Here''s a serious response to all this foolishness:

Genesis3D has been showing its age for some time. There is a revision of it in the works, but this is some months away and there is no fixed release date. While Genesis3D was good to learn about a year ago, I can''t recommend it now (despite the fact that I wrote a TON of code, most of a rapid-prototyping package, etc. in G3D and my first "real" game will be using it).

If you don''t want to write Yet Another 3D engine and get down to the business of writing games, you might check out the Auran Jet engine mentioned above as well as the Neblua Device (www.radonlabs.de) engine, or perhaps the Wild Tangent Webdriver (www.wildtangent.com). Once the API stabilizes, CrystalSpace may also be a good choice, especially for cross-platform purposes (if you care). If there were more documentation on how to use it, even Fly3D (fly3d.com.br) might be a viable alternative (but it uses OpenGL and so demands a relatively modern card with decent drivers).

I''m desperately trying to avoid writing my own engine so that I can focus my limited resources on getting a GAME out, and not another entry in the "lame 3D engine of the month" contest...!
Thankyou all for your replies...I''m going to check out those links now...

and to all that I have offended I''m truely sorry...

-Thanks once again

-----------------------------------------------------------
"If I wanted to hear the pitter patter of little feet I would put shoes on my cat"

"Yeah sure women can fake orgasms, but men can fake whole relationships"
-----------------------------------------------------------"People who usualy use the word pedantic usualy are pedantic!"-me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement