• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A few non related simple questions...

This topic is 6245 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, I was just thinking the other day, which is rather rare, so I thought i''d announce it here. Haw. Had you fooled there . No, seriously, i''ve just got a few miscellaneous questions that I sometimes wonder about, so I thought i''d ask you guys... Firstly, I was compiling an old dos project with djgpp (using the allegro library) and I noticed that the more NUM_ENEMIES I defined in the game, the slower the compilation process. Before you scream "well what do you expect, more enemies == more stuff to compile" or something similar, just think about it. I admit it, I consider compilers somewhat of a magical process, and don''t have half the in depth knowledge half you lot do about them, but all i''m effectively doing is changing the number of iterations in every loop i''m moving / drawing an enemy or whatever. Does the compiler really step through every iteration of every loop? I fail to believe that... what if the amount of iterations in a loop was a variable? It couldn''t possibley run through all of loops then, because it wouldn''t know what value to loop up to was... and also, the size of the output .exe does not change, regardless of whether I define 1 enemy, or 10,000. Secondly, and this may make me look rather ignorant, but i''m willing to risk it anyway (I don''t have much to lose ). How on *earth* do those programmers with different character sets to our western alphabet manage to program? I know our poor foreign freinds in France, Germany ans such all make do with standard C++ and just learn what ''if'' means and all, but what about, say, Japonese programmers? What on earth do they do? Surely everything about japonese scripture is completely different to the western way (syntax, grammar, structure, lexis)? Hmm, my memory''s gone a bit fuzzy, and I can''t remember what else I was going to say... damnit. Oh yeah, I got ZoneAlarm the other day (because I finally got ADSL ), and was just wondering this: How does it intercept when an application is trying to access the internet? Is it simply a windows message with the wParam / lParam as the name or ID of the application trying to access the internet? Hmm, i''m starting to babble. Thanks for bothering to read this, if you really did . Oh, and I see rodneyldixon''s back in town. Oh joy. Insomnia

Advertisement
Hi,
quote:
Original post by Insomnia

Hey all,

I was just thinking the other day, which is rather rare, so I thought i''d announce it here. Haw. Had you fooled there . No, seriously, i''ve just got a few miscellaneous questions that I sometimes wonder about, so I thought i''d ask you guys...

Firstly, I was compiling an old dos project with djgpp (using the allegro library) and I noticed that the more NUM_ENEMIES I defined in the game, the slower the compilation process. Before you scream "well what do you expect, more enemies == more stuff to compile" or something similar, just think about it. I admit it, I consider compilers somewhat of a magical process, and don''t have half the in depth knowledge half you lot do about them, but all i''m effectively doing is changing the number of iterations in every loop i''m moving / drawing an enemy or whatever. Does the compiler really step through every iteration of every loop? I fail to believe that... what if the amount of iterations in a loop was a variable? It couldn''t possibley run through all of loops then, because it wouldn''t know what value to loop up to was... and also, the size of the output .exe does not change, regardless of whether I define 1 enemy, or 10,000.

The only thing i could think of is that NUM_ENEMIES thing is somehow a param used for some complex macro operations or the
compiler does some stuff like unroll loops for optimization.

Secondly, and this may make me look rather ignorant, but i''m willing to risk it anyway (I don''t have much to lose ). How on *earth* do those programmers with different character sets to our western alphabet manage to program? I know our poor foreign freinds in France, Germany ans such all make do with standard C++ and just learn what ''if'' means and all, but what about, say, Japonese programmers? What on earth do they do? Surely everything about japonese scripture is completely different to the western way (syntax, grammar, structure, lexis)?

I work with Russians, Japanese coders and i tell you they simply learn english.

Hmm, my memory''s gone a bit fuzzy, and I can''t remember what else I was going to say... damnit. Oh yeah, I got ZoneAlarm the other day (because I finally got ADSL ), and was just wondering this: How does it intercept when an application is trying to access the internet? Is it simply a windows message with the wParam / lParam as the name or ID of the application trying to access the internet? Hmm, i''m starting to babble. Thanks for bothering to read this, if you really did .

They open a tcp socket connection.

cu

Peter

• Advertisement