What is the most stuiped(thats intentionally, or maybe not) program you have written?

Started by
87 comments, last by dwarfsoft 18 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by Extrarius
Since this seems to be about 'useful but highly specialized programs' now, I regularly use a program (created by me) whose only function is to change a single registry value (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\DisableRegistryTools). I'm glad somebody in IT realized they could control newbies while allowing competent people to fully utilize the computers by restricting accounts using policies and then making said accounts machine-local admins =-)

And that's exactly why we make students power users instead of admins. =P

Anyway, the most specialized but stupid program I've ever written I wrote quite recently. Novell have a suite called ZENworks for Desktops. One thing ZfD allows you to do, amoung many others, is associate applications to certain users and workstations, to control their availability. There's a program called Application Explorer that is part of this suite, that allows these applications to appear as shortcuts on places such as the desktop, quicklaunch bar, and start menu, instead of the seperate Application Launcher window you're otherwise confined to.

Unfortunately, the people who created Application Explorer decided that the "Start Menu" meant the base start menu folder, not the Programs folder within it. This means on the classic start menu for example, any shortcuts it creates appear at the top of the start menu itself, which causes problems when you're pushing down a dozen program groups. Not statisfied with the idea of modifying application explorer to change the folder it requested, I wrote an app which monitors the start menu folder. When Application Explorer creates a shortcut in the start menu folder, Windows notifies my program, and I copy the shortcut into the Programs folder, and mark the original as hidden so it doesn't appear in the start menu. When Application Explorer deletes a shortcut, Windows notifies my program, and I delete the copy.

Of course, the need for this app could be eliminated by a few hours work from a programmer working on ZENworks, which people have been requesting for the better part of a decade now.
Advertisement
My 4e4 entry, the entire thing was a joke. Not only was it only about... 3 lines long, but it didnt even work.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
Quote:Original post by kryat
speaking of random numbers.

once when i was a teen, i tried to make a compression algorthm based on seeding the a random number generator and searching for patterns in the random number stream, and then compress a file using Seed/Start offset/length.

it didn't really work very well.

If I'm not mistaken, that is a quite serious research topic. Well, not exactly your idea, but something close to it. (std. disclaimer here).
Quote:Original post by Rixter
Back in my QBasic days I made a program that randomly generated a universe. All in numbers of course, so randomly decide how many galaxies there were, how many solar systems, how many planets, how many inhabitable planets, how many had life, and how many of those had intelligent life. All in "real time" of course.

I can't remember why I did it, but I'm sure I had some massive plans for a game or something that required it.

You need to talk with this guy ;))
exibit 1
lol I did this for no reason
exibit 2
this was going to be a contra clone but I never took into account the enemy spawn rate, or any form of AI or level generation. So instead of fixing it, I released it as a game you have to hack to win.
the dumbest program I ever wrote would have to be the OPs AI subroutine...

seriously, though, it's probably the TicTacToe game that would pause in between turns as if it was "thinking," but really it was just filling harddrive space with random junk. One session of TTT could easily fill 500MB. This was back in 1999, when 8GB harddrives were common.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

I wrote a program and put it on the school network that whenever you click the Backspace button it just prints "backspace" [smile]
What we do in life... Echoes in eternity
Quote:Original post by ttdeath
Quote:Original post by Mattman
Quote:Original post by fnm
back in school, when the c++ teacher asked us to choose a semester end project, a guy came up with the idea to make a program that will ask the user to type in the numbers of cow legs, and then output the number of cows.

LOL, this is hillarious...

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Not useless, if you add: "How far do the cows live from the nuclear/toxic dump spot?" and then calculate correctly the cows from the number of legs,
that would be a very smart program :)

It's always the same, except occasionally it prints "Some of the cows have cancer".
Quote:Original post by Samith
The program that finds the first 50 million prime numbers (and outputs them in decimal and binary in a text file) was a pretty useless one.

I did that too, many years ago :P
And when I got my TI-83 graphics calculator I ported it over and also wrote a rather slow version of space invaders :P
A program that made two instances of Eliza talk to each other. The result was stupid.
Quote:
E1: Hi! I'm Eliza. I am your personal therapy computer. Please tell me your problem.
E2: Did you come to me because you are my personal therapy computer?
E1: What makes you think I am your personal therapy computer?
E2: How long have you been my personal therapy computer?
E1: We were discussing you --not me.
E2: We were discussing you --not me.
E1: Oh, --not you?
E2: Oh, Oh, --not me?
E1: Are you saying no just to be negative?
E2: Why are you interested in whether or not I am saying no just to be negative?
E1: Why are you interested in whether or not I am interested in whether or not you are saying no just to be negative?
E2: What makes you think I am saying no just to be negative?
E1: Did you come to me because you are saying no just to be negative?
E2: Does it please you to believe I am saying no just to be negative?
E1: How long have you been saying no just to be negative?
E2: You're not really talking about me, are you?
E1: What makes you think I am not really talking about me, am me
E2: Do you believe it is normal to be not really talking about me, are you?
E1: Would you prefer if I were not Do I believe it is normal to be not really talking about me, am me?
E2: We were discussing you --not me.
E1: You're not really talking about me, are you?
E2: What makes you think I am not really talking about me, am me?
E1: Do you believe it is normal to be not really talking about me, are you?
E2: Would you prefer if I were not Do I believe it is normal to be not really talking about me, am me?
E2: Oh, --not you?
E1: Oh, Oh, --not me?
E2: Are you saying no just to be negative?
E1: Perhaps in your fantasies I am saying no just to be negative?
E2: Do you enjoy being saying no just to be negative?
E1: You're not really talking about me, are you?
E2: Does it please you to believe I am not really talking about me, am me?
E1: Do you enjoy being not really talking about me, are you?
E2: Perhaps in your fantasies I am Do I enjoy being not really talking about me, am me?
E2: You're not really talking about me, are you?
E1: Does it please you to believe I am not really talking about me, am me?

"-1 x -1 = +1 is stupid and evil."-- Gene Ray

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement