• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

drago

Error handling...

This topic is 6461 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In Unreal when an error occurs a dialog is shown containing the function call where the error occurred on, something like this: "pProgram->Initialize()". I´ll explain what I´m doing right now. ... bFailed = pProgram->Initialize(); if ( bFailed ) { pErrorHandler->ReportError( __FILE__, __LINE__, "pProgram->Intialize()" ); } ... This works, but I find it inefficient to type out the whole function every time. Can you guys come up with a more efficient way to this? ---------- Mail me, Drago''s OpenGL Website

Advertisement
What i do is define a macro such as:

#define ReportError2(lpOutputString) ReportError(__FILE__,__LINE__,lpOutputString)

if you include this in the declaration of your errorhandler class you can call it using:

bFailed = pProgram->Initialize();
if ( bFailed )
{
pErrorHandler->ReportError2("pProgram->Intialize()" );
}

===========================
No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn''''t work anyway.

You can make some macros using the stringizing operator:-

#define LINE_STR1(n) #n
#define LINE_STR2(n) LINE_STR1(n)
#define LINE_STRING LINE_STR2(__LINE__)
#define FILE_STRING __FILE__

#define REPORT_ERROR(pObj, szText) pObj->ReportError(FILE_STRING, LINE_STRING, szText)

...Umm... I Think...

Then just type:-

REPORT_ERROR(pErrorHandler, "pProgram->Intialize()")

Pity, there''s no standard __FUNCTION__ like macro, then you could automate all of it...

As for Unreal, I think it pushes text into a buffer by throwing exceptions, because there''s a lot of ''x->y->z->u()'' text to write manually otherwise.

Jans.

I actually do a form of that as well, but didn´t show it to keep the question simple.

This is what I really do:

#define M_FAILED(x) ( x < 1 )
#define M_FAIL_SAFE(f, fn, em) if ( M_FAILED( f ) ) g_pErrorHandler->ProcessError( __FILE__, __LINE__, fn, em );

M_FAIL_SAFE
(
InitializeProgram(),
"InitializeProgram()",
"Failed to initialize the program..."
);

But I doubt if this is good coding practise, but it does safe me from more mindless typing .

----------
Mail me, Drago's OpenGL Website

Edited by - drago on January 12, 2001 5:06:43 PM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!