• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I like OGL,but how will I get a job?

This topic is 6246 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This is somthing that scares me.I''m still trying to move from OGL to DX8 but I''m worried that I might not get the total hang of it before I graduate at the end of this year.So my question is,when I start applying to game comapnies and I show them the wonderful things I did in OGL,will they hire me or do I HAVE to know DX in order to get it (keep in mind all these companies are relying on DX and not OGL) I''d ask the companies themselves but I''d be sending out a LOT of emails

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
If you have made some wonderful things in OGL so is it very good. Can you show something little bigger than just some demo effects is it better.

I guess it is good to know DX8 and D3D but after all is it just another API.

im sure companies r more interested in your 3d knowledge, analitically skills etc than in a partically API.
remember also 85%+ of games sold are for consoles the pc market is a very minority market.

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux

Knowing an API is like knowing how to program in C versus C++ versus Pascal versus Visual Basic, the key is programming effectively in any language. An old college professor once told me that a competent programmer can learn most any language in about a month. I was hired to do OpenGL programming and on my first day I was told to tackle a Direct3D programming bug. I thought there was no way I could "swim in the deep end." Needless to say, from that point on I have been assigned solely Direct3D projects.

Good luck in your career search,

himh
Software Engineer
Very, very large semiconductor company

Knowing how to program with EITHER API is definately a huge plus, but most companies just want to know that you know how to program effectively (in C/C++ usually). Most companies will actually "retrain" you anyway once you are hired. So in your case, they will see that you already have knowledge of OpenGL and hire you, and if they need you to know D3D they will teach it to you.

• Advertisement