• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I need some help setting up child windows with D3D

This topic is 6338 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m coding my first map editor, and I''m somewhat new to all of this. So my code is based on the D3D tutorials. here''s setup code. This is in Win Main: // Register the window class WNDCLASSEX wc; wc.lpfnWndProc = MsgProc; wc.style = CS_HREDRAW | CS_VREDRAW; wc.lpszClassName = "Map Editor"; wc.cbSize = sizeof(WNDCLASSEX); wc.cbClsExtra=0L; wc.cbWndExtra=0L; wc.hInstance=GetModuleHandle(NULL); wc.hbrBackground = (HBRUSH) GetStockObject (GRAY_BRUSH); RegisterClassEx( &wc ); // Create the application''s window HWND hWnd = CreateWindow( "Map Editor", "Map Editor", WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW, 100, 100, RESWIDTH+RESWIDTH/6, RESHEIGHT+RESHEIGHT/8, GetDesktopWindow(), NULL, wc.hInstance, NULL ); wc.style = CS_CLASSDC; wc.lpfnWndProc = ControlProc; wc.lpszClassName = "Render Window"; RegisterClassEx( &wc ); // Create the Render screen HWND RenderhWnd = CreateWindow( "Render Window",NULL, WS_CHILDWINDOW | WS_VISIBLE, 0, 0, RESWIDTH, RESHEIGHT, hWnd, (HMENU)2, wc.hInstance, NULL ); All of that seems to work, but then InitD3D fails, this is the InitD3D function HRESULT InitD3D( HWND hWnd ) { // Create the D3D object. if( NULL == ( g_pD3D = Direct3DCreate8( D3D_SDK_VERSION ) ) ) { MessageBox(hWnd,"error calling Direct3DCreate8","error",MB_OK); return E_FAIL; } // Get the current desktop display mode, so we can set up a back // buffer of the same format D3DDISPLAYMODE d3ddm; if( FAILED( g_pD3D->GetAdapterDisplayMode( D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, &d3ddm ) ) ) return E_FAIL; // Set up the structure used to create the D3DDevice D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS d3dpp; ZeroMemory( &d3dpp, sizeof(d3dpp) ); d3dpp.Windowed = TRUE; d3dpp.SwapEffect = D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD; d3dpp.BackBufferFormat = d3ddm.Format; d3dpp.BackBufferCount = 1; d3dpp.hDeviceWindow= hWnd; // Create the D3DDevice if( FAILED( g_pD3D->CreateDevice( D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DDEVTYPE_HAL, hWnd, D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING, &d3dpp, &g_pd3dDevice ) ) ) { MessageBox(hWnd,"error creating D3D device","error",MB_OK); return E_FAIL; } // Turn off culling, so we see the front and back of the triangle g_pd3dDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_CULLMODE, D3DCULL_NONE ); // Turn off D3D lighting, since we are providing our own vertex colors g_pd3dDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_LIGHTING, FALSE ); return S_OK; } The create device function fails. I don''t know what I''m doing wrong, this is sort of just hacked up from "Proggramming Windows" and the D3D tutorials. If anyone can help me I''d appreciate it.

Advertisement
If the method fails, the return value can be one of the following values.

D3DERR_INVALIDCALL
D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE
D3DERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY

If you get the return code, you can figure out a bit more on why it fails. Hope this helps!

"I kinda think, therefore, I kinda... am?"

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!