A new Tetris game

Started by
18 comments, last by Blueshrike 18 years, 2 months ago
I'm a game designer but have not had any professional experience in the game industry yet, but I need a job for a couple of years... though I have nothing to show since I like to keep my designs private and for personal group use. However, I got this new idea that I'll try to complete as a project to show companies that would like to hire me. A Tetris game. One of the most perfect things to make for yourself if you want to make it into the game industry. But, instead of just drawing up a few blocks and programming them to fall down I want to make it a little more twisted... First, there will be two modes. Standard mode and Mission mode. Standard mode is very similar to the original Tetris where you can either play endless style, and Mission mode has 50 original levels that the player must overcome. Basic interface analysis: You start out with three files. Choose one and enter your name then press OK. It'll create a new file for you with data such as "score", "time", and "missions". Score will enter your high score for endless and time will enter your total time for missions. Missions just counts how many missions you have beaten out of 50. Endless Mode: Same old Tetris, endless style. Every 1000 points gives you 1 coin for the item shop. Cannot use items here. Mission Mode: The heart of this game. The player gets brought to a screen with 50 stages, each with a specific scenario. There's also an item shop, what's with that? Some example scenarios are "get 20 lines" or "get 15 lines, but can't flip blocks" or "small. Get 30 lines with only half the screen area". There are also extremely challenging ones where you'd have to clear a certain amount of lines... but once the blocks hit the bottom of the screen they turn invisible. Of course, you won't have to clear many lines for that one but you get the idea. Once you beat a level the fastest time will be recorded. If you beat all 50 levels and get a very low time... something good will happen. Also, beating different levels gives you a certain amount of coins as a prize. Item Shop: A great aspect to this game is the item shop. The item shop sells you certain items that makes missions much easier. An item such as a "Bomb" will clear all indestructable tiles on the screen. There will also be items that increases the rate of a certain block appearing or decreases the rate. Many more kinds of items can be bought too. Trophies: There are 6 different golden trophies you can get, but how to get them is a mystery. These mark the true Tetris experts. --- And that would be the game's summary. This is my new project. What do you think?
Advertisement
Sounds great! Are you going to program this yourself? Simple ideas done well are a great showcase. Your summary above exactly conveys the idea. This kind of game would probably do well in the mobile and causal gaming type markets.

There are some great ideas out there and some talented game designers, this thread here is from a little while ago - alexokita posted a very fancy game design doc: thread topic

The document link is here (3 posts down) http://www.okita.com/ES/EmberScribe_CompleteDesign_2005-06-03-1955.pdf

I think that has to be the best game design doc I've ever seen posted on gamedev.net (though come to think of it I've not seen very many that make it past a forum post format like above). I just posted the link incase you were interested in what other game designers are doing around here - as your rating is 1000 (new?) I guess you may not of seen it.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Thanks a lot for that post. It meant a lot to me. I don't usually get great comments from forum people, hahaha.

I don't know if I'll be programming it or if my friend will be because I still have a great deal to study in C++, but if I can I will. Thanks for the comment and I'll check that stuff out later.

Edit: Okay, took a peek at that document. Amazing, truly. I've never seen something so detailed and beautiful, I just see professional text-ridden tomes of pure boring. It's wonderful, really. Thanks for showing me this. Sparks more of my interest.
good job :). it sounds like you have a great idea on your hands. goodluck to you and your friend. make sure you put a multiplayer in there too though. :P
Quote:Original post by tont
good job :). it sounds like you have a great idea on your hands. goodluck to you and your friend. make sure you put a multiplayer in there too though. :P

I was actually starting to think about making an online multiplayer capability, but I don't know if my friend knows how to make one of those. We'll look into it though, of course.
Moving things online is difficult. I'd advise just making the singleplayer mode to start out with; it'll give you something to show to people. Online play could easily double your development time alone.
Jetblade: an open-source 2D platforming game in the style of Metroid and Castlevania, with procedurally-generated levels
I suppose you're right. However, isn't there a way you can just IP connect with a friend online? I know of certain emulators that are able to do that, without some kind of host. I don't know anything about that though.

By the way, I'm finished designing the blocks and I'm starting on the game's interface and backgrounds. Once I'm done that I'll see about programming it.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's been done before in a little game called Nyet 3. See here.

But don't let that stop you from making it though! :)
Quote:Original post by Adamb
Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's been done before in a little game called Nyet 3. See here.

But don't let that stop you from making it though! :)

Haha, I already knew a similar idea has been done before but I'm trying to twist it around more. I remember that game, I have it on CD and it's the game I've been trying to play recently.

My game's going to have a bit more detail and bigger in size, as well as a "world" idea for the various stages. Plus, with the addition of the 6 expert trophies it will symbolize the advanced players.

I'm probably not going to sell the game, though, it's just a game to show how dedicated I am to creating something. I'm just doing it for fun and hopefully quickly and efficiently so I can use it for my portfolio.

Thanks for showing me that, I completely forgot the name of the game and didn't want to look through the encyclopedia of games I have for it.

Edit: Well, now that I read the summary I remember that there is a lot of similarity in mine stage-wise because some of my ideas are also in that game and I forgot... I'll have to try to spread mine out a bit more.
It's a great idea to add missions, and like someone said it's been thought about and done in the past. Interestingly, an official Tetris game coming out in the near future has a mission mode...

BTW, be careful of making a Tetris game to sell. The Tetris Company looks at these as infringements which of course they are.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement