Winsock, TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, Modems, Serial

Started by
5 comments, last by Great Milenko 23 years, 3 months ago
ok well if you did get what I was hinting at in the subject I''m looking for websites to get info about networking interfaces... I''ve tried searching around on the net and comming up with nothing I need... tried microsoft.... again some problem... I played around with Winsock a while back but I can''t remeber anything... ummm I know that I can use ip and ipx through Winsock... I''m looking for a site with some good articals on using winsock for ip and ipx... ummm if I remeber right I need to use some other interface for serial and modem communication... can''t remeber what that ones called =)... anyone know of a few good sites for this?
The Great Milenko"Don't stick a pretzel up your ass, it might get stuck in there.""Computer Programming is findding the right wrench to hammer in the correct screw."
Advertisement
How about DirectPlay?

- Goblineye Entertainment
The road to success is always under construction
Goblineye EntertainmentThe road to success is always under construction
I can give you some example code for Winsock TCP/IP. You can either email me, or visit my web page and download the chat program (the other winsock examples are pretty bad).

Useless Code
quote:
How about DirectPlay?

because DirectPlay sucks. for one thing I''m creating a multi-platform game library. DP ummmm no... thought about reverse enginering it for non-windows platforms... na to much work... anyways I don''t want to restrict the library to just games... I want it to be able to be used for apps too... ummm dun''t think HTTP FTP IRC ect is based on dplay =).... second I''ve heard alot about dplay being realy slow... ummmm no... need speed in games =)

Mike: thanx, looks like a good start... heh looks like theres some other cool stuff I need to take a look at when I get the time =)
The Great Milenko"Don't stick a pretzel up your ass, it might get stuck in there.""Computer Programming is findding the right wrench to hammer in the correct screw."
You should also look into using Winsock and the UDP protocall. It is not as reliable as TCP/IP, but it is faster. I would not recomend using IPX as it is quickly loosing popularity on networks due to the amount of trafic it creates.

I''ll probably have some UDP code done shortly.

Useless Code
IPX is a lot more efficent than IP on the LAN - even higher than that if you need to broadcast if there's no IP multicasting support (pressence is uncommon). Over a rotuer is a different story...

It's use has greatly faded since it's a pain to maintain two protocols and filter IPX packets over routes, and everyone needs IP.

MSDN.microsoft.com is probably a decent place to start, thier WSAO2 supports all their network protocols, using a modem is more involved.

Edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on January 14, 2001 2:58:26 AM
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
you might want to take a look at: http://www.cyberport.com:443/~tangent/programming/winsock/index.html

and get yourself a copy of microsoft''s windows network programming...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement