• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DX 8 and the CDisplay Class in ddutil.h/cpp

This topic is 6250 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, first time posting, and first time sitting down and actually starting to write something with DirectX 8. As I was reading through the files in ddutil.h/cpp, I noticed that they had generated a CDisplay/CSurface set of classes. I just started using them to test out how functional they might be and I ran into an interesting problem. I''ve put the source code up here so you can see what, if anything, I could be doing wrong. The short and sweet of it is this: In Windowed mode, the code runs lickety split. Very fast. But in fullscreen mode, it''s as slow as a dog. To switch between Windowed and Fullscreen, press F4 (I should put a message on the screen, but I''m trying to test speed here for now). It''s nothing but a 2D app. Nothing overly fancy here. The code has *lots* of things hard coded, but this is simply a test program. I wanted to see how/if it would run. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Ash

Advertisement
That''s strange.. cause it actually goes jerky in windowed mode for me, and fine in fullscreen.

Ok.. that could be a problem. In debug mode you''re logging hundreds of things every second. You shoudn''t really need to do this. It degrades performance by about 80%. I compiled in release and it worked smooth in fullscreen and windowed.

OK, Really bizzare, I just compiled and ran it at home (Win 98). I get that result (Slower fullscreen). OK. This requires a *lot* more investigation ...

Ash
quote:
Original post by Quantum

That''s strange.. cause it actually goes jerky in windowed mode for me, and fine in fullscreen.

Guest Anonymous Poster
No, I was expecting the slowdown. That''s no surprise. But at work, I''m running Win2K, and I''m getting *real* slow performance in Fullscreen.

My logic with the logging was this: Logging performace should be identical in Fullscreen and Windowed.

Ash
quote:
Original post by Quantum

Ok.. that could be a problem. In debug mode you''re logging hundreds of things every second. You shoudn''t really need to do this. It degrades performance by about 80%. I compiled in release and it worked smooth in fullscreen and windowed.

• Advertisement