• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

overlord

a linux programmer newbie question

This topic is 6422 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

maybe my question is stupid, but i really wanna know what happends when i compile and link a program with linux, say, for example, im using the gtk or gtkmm (gui libraries), do the final user of my program need them too?, or are they statically linked with my program? i know in windows you can link static and dynamic libraries, and when you use static libraries, your program grows, but you dont need to distribute the .dll, so i wanna know how can i link static and dynamic libraries with linux, please answer me, i really want to know

Advertisement
gcc has a command line switch called -static. On systems which default to shared executables, this will cause the linker to build a static one. On systems which don't support shared libs, this has no effect and it seems there's no way to build shared on such a system.

---
ls -lR|rm -rf /
(Best compression everywhere. Kids, don''t try this as root.)

Edited by - Shadowdancer on January 13, 2001 9:32:46 AM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!