• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
toXic1337

Java IDE Compiler?

This topic is 4563 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everybody, I'm starting to aquaint myself with Java and I wanted to ask a few questions. Do any of you have a prefered Text Editor that perhaps compiles java classes as well? For C++, I use DevC++. I didn't know if there was anything like that for Java as well. Anyways, only looking for input. ~toxic

Advertisement
I would also recommend NetBeans which is free too, and I really recommend JCreator, which is a shareware, but has a very fast IDE, and looks a lot like MSDEV, if you're portig from it.
NetBeans was written in java, JCreator was written in C++.
There is also one called BlueJ, I've heard many nice about it, but never tried it. It is free too. I can't give you a link for neither, but googling up they will return close to first. [wink]

Hi, if this is not for serious development or huge projects. I would recommend textpad... Which can be found here...

http://www.textpad.com/

It's fast and easy. It's like using notepad with a built-in compiler.

JCreator is nice as already been mentioned and the cost for the registered version isn't that much (69 USD), for a free IDE I liked Borland's JBuilder which has the foundation edition available for free and is a very capable IDE with some nice features.

like the others, id recommend eclipse. it also has a nice debugger in there and its free :).

Add a vote for Eclipse. It's as close to the .NET development environment that you can get with Java. It even has advantages in some areas ;) My personal favorite is the automatic compile error detections in real-time (as you type).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!