I would like to make a game like "breakout"

Started by
15 comments, last by guillermoro 18 years, 3 months ago
Hi, I am currently a software engineer for a defense company and looking to improve some areas of my technical background,,,so i decided on programming a game like breakout. i was wondering if there is anyone else that would like to join me? i plan on making this using java. i will also throw up a small msg board and website so we can work on this together. thoughts/suggestions? i want this to imcorporate a nice gui, database, physics, etc... drop me an email if your interested/ thanks.
Advertisement
Hey baker,

I'd be glad to help you out with it, although I'll admit right off the bat that my Java knowledge is lacking. But from what I've seen, it's much like C++ and I'm fairly proficient in that area.

Overall, I don't think it'll take me more than an hour or two to familiarize myself with the language.

I would like to know how serious you are taking this though. I'm not looking to get myself into some long and drawn out project. If this is for learning experience, that's fine. I have other obligations I have to tend to.

Anyways, just let me know what you want me to do.

~toxic
toXic1337
i wouldn't be able to help, but i'd like to see the project as it progresses, it would probably help me learn.
awesome, didnt expect to see some quick replies.

my main intent is for a learning experience and to keep my programming skills diverse. right after i graduated college and got used to the 'corporate' world, I sort of lost interest in comp sci/programming. i now realize that in order to stay competitive in todays market and earn a decent/growing salary, learning should never stop.

my main focus for this project is the design. i would like this program to be very efficient, use as much OOP and physics as possible, etc...

should i keep all my thoughts and questions about this project in this thread?

thanks

Breakout, IMHO, is a great learning game. It introduces the fundamentals of realtime games without requiring too much complicated stuff.

With that said... Physics!? DATABASES!? Breakout is not a complicated game. The physics is that when the ball hits a wall it goes the other way... in fact, true physics with the paddle would make the game almost unplayable because there'd be no way to affect the ball's trajectory. I'm not exactly sure where in Breakout you could use a database, other than the high score table.

Using excessive OOP in a simple situation will have the effect of making you hate OOP. (Trust me, I've been there. [grin]) I'd suggest you program Breakout with as much complexity as breakout actually needs, then move on to bigger and better things. (Perhaps an RPG.)
well i was thinking i could use physics for an example like this:

ball coming towards the paddle at a certain speed and angle, paddle moving along the x axis at a certain speed, when collision is detected, it should put a spin on the ball determined by how fast the paddle moved, that should change the angle and speed at which the ball reflects.

now i have book that i never read called game physics for game developers, my brief flip through that book leads me to believe i need to brush up on some physics. lol

thanks
I've never seen the game, any idea where I can find a demo or what it looks like?

its very similiar game like pong but you break blocks. im sure if you google image search breakout, you can see a picture.
aka Arkenoid. You've most likely seen some form of the game somewhere; it's been implemented more times than Tetris. It's probably the single most popular "first game" for new game programmers.
my first game was with Basic, had a gorilla throwing bananas lol. I think it was, like 13 years ago back in the Windows 3.2 days.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement