Im helpless...

Started by
16 comments, last by CodeTitan 18 years, 2 months ago
I cant understand one damn thing about C++ how much of a noob am i?? I cant grasp anything not even tutorials..its too complex for me?? I need a easy to read tutorial or something that teaches some very basic stuff about C++... Can you help?
Advertisement
Let's see. Three days ago, you posted a thread much like this one, asking where you could find a Python tutorial. Now you're complaining that C++ is too hard. I think I see your problem: you give up too damned easy! Seriously, do you think ANYBODY with no programming experience just picks up a book on a programming language and gets it like that? Quit jumping around from topic to topic. Pick up a book--that's right, I said BOOK--on Python. Here's a pretty good one. Get the book, use it until you understand it. By "use it", I mean following along in the book, doing all the exercises it tells you to do, typing in every program it lists.
Programming requires an exertion of recesses of the intellect altogether unused by the average person. By that I mean that programming requires abstract and indirect critical thinking skills in an amount typically not possessed and obtained by ordinary occupations of the mind.

As a consequence, when you first start learning, it can be severely taxing on you mentally. You've never had to think in these manners before; you've never had to establish your logic rigorously and furthermore translate it into an arcane, formal syntax very much unlike that of the fluid and intuitive natural languages.

You will not pick up programming quickly. It will take a considerable amount of time; and even after many years, you will not be able to consider yourself an expert. Just accept this and deal with it. Don't rush it.
Just work at it. The key to learning how to program is to try out the code examples in the tutorials (or at least thats what helped me). Just type out the code chunks you see and run them. then try changing the code around a little and see what happens. If you still dont understand something re read the tutorial. After doing that you should learn enough to at least ask us specific questions. thats when we become helpful :)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
Beginning C++ Game Programming seems to get consistently good reviews.
Just out of curiosity, how old are you? Also... nilkn is right; programming, especially in a complex language like C++, isn't something you are going to pick up really quickly. You have to work to get it.

F-R-E-D F-R-E-D-B-U-R...G-E-R! - Yes!
In all honesty, programming is not difficult. "nilkn" gives programmers too much credit. I've met idiots who could write software. They just wrote really crappy stuff. Mastering the skill is another matter.
programming is not too difficult. the difficult part is getting through the "initiation stage". After you've passed that stage you'll realise that programming is all about algorithms, regardless of the language. I think that's where it gets easy.

I suggest you get a tutor for first few months, once you break the brick wall you'll be on your way... easily.

on the side note, gargh!!! I still can't get passing function thru another function (into a tree) working.

Try Managed DirectX with C#. The visual studio C# express 2005 compiler environment is a free download from the Microsoft site (just like C++ express), and it's very easy. Once you get comfortable with C# programming you could learn how C++ is different and start with that. C# concentrates on getting work done and is still almost as fast, yet it's more difficult to make mistakes in C#. This way you concentrate on actual programming instead of nasty implementation details like header files, pointers to pointers, etc.
Search google for eg. 'managed directx tutorial'. Ignore that one about DirectDraw, focus on Direct3D instead.
personally from experience I think it's a horrible idea to go C# then C++. C# is more fool proof compared to C++, but to a learner, makes them more sloppy in coding. I think C++ is the best programming language to start, because the mentality is more important than the knowledge. My lecturer always says "think of ways how it's going to fail".

It'll be difficult to break the bad habits once you get used to the sloppy codings.

only thing worse than going from C#->C++ is VB->C++ (which I did).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement