• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Curious as to how some categorize programming concepts

This topic is 4476 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My Question is given Beginer Intermediate and Advanced how would you group programming concepts.. Iam relating mine to c++ BEGINNER variables + = * / if statements for statements functions INTERMEDIATE Pointers classes Encapsulation Inheritance Polymorphism bit operations Templates Patterns (some) .lib .dll ADVANCED Multiple Inheritance Virtual Inheritance Patterns (some) I realize that this is by far an incomplete list of concepts so please ADD MORE and/or Change Mine. feel free to expand upon my generalization of patterns .... I just think it would be interesting to see how everyone else rates the level of some concepts

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by MTclip

My Question is given Beginer Intermediate and Advanced how would you group programming concepts.. Iam relating mine to c++

BEGINNER
variables
+ = * /
if statements
for statements
functions

INTERMEDIATE
Pointers
classes
Encapsulation
Inheritance
Polymorphism
bit operations
Templates
Patterns (some)
.lib
.dll

ADVANCED
Multiple Inheritance
Virtual Inheritance
Patterns (some)

I realize that this is by far an incomplete list of concepts so please ADD MORE and/or Change Mine. feel free to expand upon my generalization of patterns

.... I just think it would be interesting to see how everyone else rates the level of some concepts

I think classes and inheritance can be moved to "Beginner" since they can be found in pretty much any introductory C++ book. I think you can also take "for statements" and make it just loops in general.

-AJ

Pointers and bit operations should be moved to beginner. Admitedly, some of the uses of pointers and bit operations are intermediate or advanced, but the basic things are definately beginner's topics.

Edit:: Template Metaprogramming -> Advanced

Well if it were me I'd certainly rate templates as harder than multiple inherritance. You've obviously not done much template meta-programming.[smile]

You've listed some basic operators, but you may want to think about how you'd rate other operators, such as the ternary ?: operator, and pre & post increment etc.

Maybe add operator overloading?

Const-correctness? (that's a good one)

Exceptions? (you just can't leave that out!)

Threading? (definately more to the advanced end)

Perhaps something related to use of the preprocessor?

What about anything from the standard library?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement