Sign in to follow this  

Engine Source Code

This topic is 4381 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there everyone. I'm new here, jus' signed up a lil bit ago. At the moment, i'm an aspiring programmer who's still trying to find their footing =P. My scripting skills are pretty limited, so I dont expect miricals from myself too soon, however I have had some experience doing some complex scripting through a premade engine using C++. Most of that was all self taught, so I like to hope that i'm a quick learner =P. Anyways, to my situation. I know everyone says to start small otherwise you'll simply get overwhelmed and crumble under it all. I like most people, have big plans, plans that may be a little too big. But for now, my only goal is to get started on it, after that, I have a large array of friends who can cover most other areas of game making that should help assist. But my question is, when people set out to make a game, on a small scale ((i.e: Without a high profile staff working on it all =P)). Do they use premade engines with the source code premade, and simply add their own custom variables, or.. do they make their own engines from scratch? Next question is, how hard is it to make an engine for a 2d RPG style game. Just the basis for now, not all the extra features and functions. Stuff to allow a graphics interface, player controlled sprites, etc. Going to do alot of reading up on it, so if anyone can give me a few pointers for starting off, i'd appreciate it greatly.

for the first question i usually work with my own code or code a friend has made. other peoples engines can be great but if you write it yourself you have a better feel for what it does, plus its written in a way you're comfortable with (functions/variables etc are named and work like you prefer them to). in saying that i havent attempted anything hugley difficult that a pre-made engine would be useful for.

as for question two...i'd like to say 'not really difficult' but its totally reletive to your abilities and what you want to do. if you plan out the whole thing first i think you will find it wont be too tricky. personally i would see the visual setup being the hardest part. if you could get the graphics down the rest would be easy (you could allways make it console-based first...or use a graphics engine someone else has written).

Quote:
Original post by Asyrina
Hi there everyone. I'm new here, jus' signed up a lil bit ago. At the moment, i'm an aspiring programmer who's still trying to find their footing =P. My scripting skills are pretty limited, so I dont expect miricals from myself too soon, however I have had some experience doing some complex scripting through a premade engine using C++. Most of that was all self taught, so I like to hope that i'm a quick learner =P.

Anyways, to my situation. I know everyone says to start small otherwise you'll simply get overwhelmed and crumble under it all. I like most people, have big plans, plans that may be a little too big. But for now, my only goal is to get started on it, after that, I have a large array of friends who can cover most other areas of game making that should help assist. But my question is, when people set out to make a game, on a small scale ((i.e: Without a high profile staff working on it all =P)). Do they use premade engines with the source code premade, and simply add their own custom variables, or.. do they make their own engines from scratch?

Next question is, how hard is it to make an engine for a 2d RPG style game. Just the basis for now, not all the extra features and functions. Stuff to allow a graphics interface, player controlled sprites, etc. Going to do alot of reading up on it, so if anyone can give me a few pointers for starting off, i'd appreciate it greatly.

I would do my own engine.

I started a namespace called 'CApp', which was supposed to be a logging system. It turned into a linked list, engine, entity system, sprite system, error system, and soooo on. Pretty good working.

Anyways, making your own makes you learn, so if you're looking to make a game and not just learn, then use a premade engine.

Sign in to follow this