what 3dmodel format is easiest to read?

Started by
12 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 2 months ago
Hi I started opengl a while ago and think I have learned fast. Now its time to start looking into importing models into my programs, but they all seem so complex. I dont need any animation effect like there are in the milkshape models so what I basicly need is a format that just actually have data for the model itself and the texture. I have licence for milkshape so if its possible to export it from that program its a big plus. So what non-animation format is easier to read into the application? thanks for the answers :)
Advertisement
MD2 is rather simple, though it does have animation data. The obj file format which is text-based is pretty simple too.
.3ds is well documented. Most modelling packages will either import or export .3ds.
D.V.Carpe Diem
If you use DirectX the .x format is the easiest, since the SDK contains loading routines for these files.
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
I recall tht the Milkshape format is very simple to read.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
I recall tht the Milkshape format is very simple to read.

Yes, I have used Milkshape 3d files for both my GBA and Windows engines, but I wrote a custom exporter for both output formats. If you only want vertex, texture and normal info then it'll be ok. I will write some maya exporters sometime in the future though, because milkshape 3d is not a very advanced modelling package and has bugs which get annoying when they happen when your short of time!! :(
--------------------------- Demo Or Die!---------------------------
It doesn't get simpler that OFF.

But then, you're trading usefulness for ease :)
We''re sorry, but you don''t have the clearance to read this post. Please exit your browser at this time. (Code 23)
Ok I will look at that OFF format first, and then milkshape again.

Althought I found some technical spec for this format it seem to be pretty dead. What tools do I need to create OFF models? Any opengl samples for loading this model? And last but not least; I need a sample model to work against but cant fint anyone at the usual sites...any ideas?
Any format that is well documented should be as easy to read as any other. But if this is the first importer you are writing, I recommend finding a format in which you can easily skip data that your program has no use for, like animation for example. That way you don't need to write the whole thing at once. You can write and test each part of the import process one at at time, i.e. first load just the vertices and skip everything else. Then add faces, etc.
You are not the one beautiful and unique snowflake who, unlike the rest of us, doesn't have to go through the tedious and difficult process of science in order to establish the truth. You're as foolable as anyone else. And since you have taken no precautions to avoid fooling yourself, the self-evident fact that countless millions of humans before you have also fooled themselves leads me to the parsimonious belief that you have too.--Daniel Rutter
md2 is a good format. Just beware some of the crappy loader tutorials out there, that insist that loading entire structs with a fread call is a good idea.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement