GLSL per pixel question

Started by
20 comments, last by McZ 18 years, 2 months ago
My ambient is 0.2,0.2,0.2 and I have one light for now.
Advertisement
I can't get it work with the loop so I can have more lights.

Vertex:
varying vec3 normal, pos;	void main(){		vec4 worldPos;	normal = normalize(gl_NormalMatrix * gl_Normal);			worldPos = gl_ModelViewMatrix * gl_Vertex;	pos = worldPos.xyz;	gl_TexCoord[0] = gl_MultiTexCoord0;		gl_Position = ftransform();} 

Fragment:
varying vec3 normal, pos;uniform sampler2D textureID;uniform int nrLights;void main(){	vec4 diffuse=vec4(0), specular=vec4(0), ambient=vec4(0);	vec4 ambientLight=vec4(0), diffuseLight=vec4(0), specularLight=vec4(0);	float shine = 128.0;	vec3 n = normalize(normal);	vec3 halfVector = normalize(gl_LightSource[0].halfVector.xyz);		shine = gl_FrontMaterial.shininess;		vec4 texColor = texture2D( textureID, vec2(gl_TexCoord[0]) );//	int i=0;	for( int i=0; i<2; ++i )	{		vec3 LD = normalize( vec3(gl_LightSource.position.xyz - pos) ); 		float NdotL = max(dot(n, normalize(LD)), 0.0);		float spotEffect = dot(normalize(gl_LightSource.spotDirection), normalize(-LD));		ambientLight += gl_LightSource.ambient;		diffuseLight += spotEffect * NdotL * gl_LightSource.diffuse;		specularLight += pow(max(dot(n, halfVector), 0.0), shine) * gl_LightSource.specular;	}		ambient = gl_FrontMaterial.ambient * ambientLight;	diffuse =  gl_FrontMaterial.diffuse * diffuseLight;	specular = gl_FrontMaterial.specular * specularLight;		vec4 light = ambient + diffuse + specular;	gl_FragColor = clamp(light,0.0, 1.0);}

EDIT: Updated shaders

[Edited by - McZ on January 19, 2006 7:45:32 PM]
Quote:Original post by McZ
eviltwigflipper > I'm trying. and I have successfully created my own fragment shader that added the texture to the world. But I failed to combine light and texture.

I still think you should read up more on what your doing, but anyway just taking a quick glance at it I can see a couple things your not doing(these are probley not your direct probley though).

1) You need to have a TBN(Tangent Binormal Normal) matrix, or your lighting will either just effect walls or not the walls and just the floor and ceiling(depending on how your coordinate system is set up).

2) If I remember GLSL had a really bad implmenation of loops. What I would do is just try to get a single light to work. Because the way your doing it just seems wierd. The vec4 light you should be adding the results at the end of the loop instead of after it which is what your doing now.

3)Instead of using "spot direction",try to make a point light. Try to replace that with distance attenuation( 1-(LD/lightRadius)*2) ).

4)Try to take out the ambient and the texture and see what results you get. And what tutorial are you trying to follow?

I have been readingThis and This and I have found a few other examples that I downloaded but don't have any URL to them.

Why do I need a TBN matrix? none of the tutorials I have seen have written anything about the TBN matrix (maybe they have but with another name).

I had one single light working (maybe not correct though) so I would like to see if I could extend the shader to use 2 lights all tutorials I have found only handle one light.

Why do I need a TBN matrix

Exactlly what I said before...you need to read up on what your actually doing. ; ).

If you have a single light working(probley not correctlly sinse your not using a TBN matrix) then I believe you can use loops without the NV_Fragment_Program2 extension(GF6 or higher) if you have a non variable as a counter for your loops. But your still doing it wrong...

If you have Quake 4 I would recommend looking at how they did there stuff in GLSL.

But you NEED to implement a TBN matrix.

You should fix your stuff to look something like this...
vec3 result;for(int i = 0; i < 2; i++) {        vec3 lightD = gl_LightSource.position.xyz - pos;        lightD = normalize(mul(lightD, TBN).xyz);        ... <-- calculate lighting equation.        result += ambient + material_ambience + (dp + specular) * attenuation;}return vec4(result, 1.0);

I'm searching the net for info about the TBN matrix altough I can't find anyone that explains so I understand yet.

I have changed my shaders so now they look like this, and now I get some light when using more than one light. But as you said, I can't have a variable as loop max counter.

vertex
varying vec3 normal, position;void main(void){	position = vec3(gl_ModelViewMatrix * gl_Vertex);	normal = normalize(gl_NormalMatrix * gl_Normal);		gl_TexCoord[0] = gl_MultiTexCoord0;		gl_Position = ftransform();}

fragment
varying vec3 normal, position;uniform sampler2D textureID;void main(void){	float shine = gl_FrontMaterial.shininess;	vec4 ambientLight=vec4(0.2), diffuseLight=vec4(0), specularLight=vec4(0);	vec4 texColor = texture2D( textureID, vec2(gl_TexCoord[0]) );	vec3 n = normalize(normal);	vec4 color = vec4(0);	// Light	for( int i=0; i<5; i++ )	{		vec3 L = normalize( vec3(gl_LightSource.position.xyz - position) );		float NdotL = max(dot(n, L), 0.0);		float NdotHV = dot(n, normalize(gl_LightSource.halfVector.xyz));				ambientLight = gl_LightSource.ambient;		diffuseLight = NdotL * gl_LightSource.diffuse;		specularLight = pow(max(NdotHV, 0.0), shine) * gl_LightSource.specular;			vec4 ambient = gl_FrontMaterial.ambient * ambientLight;		vec4 diffuse = gl_FrontMaterial.diffuse * diffuseLight;		vec4 specular = gl_FrontMaterial.specular * specularLight;				color += (ambient + diffuse + specular);	}			gl_FragColor = (gl_LightModel.ambient + color) * texColor;}
Quote:Original post by McZ
I'm searching the net for info about the TBN matrix altough I can't find anyone that explains so I understand yet.

First hit on google http://www.paulsprojects.net/tutorials/simplebump/simplebump.html. If you don't atleast get the gist of the math behind what your doing, you might want to try something more simple...but anyway read that. I would also recommend you by the OpenGL Shading Language book(Orange Book).

I have read that one several times. But I still don't undestand why I need TBN for my lighting when I don't have any bumpmaps because every article/tutorial that mention TBN is about Bump mapping.
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/mathematicsofperpixellighting.html

Read that whole thing..starts to go indepth on a TBN matrix around slide 33. I would actually try to explain it to you, but I think that document at least gets you on the right track.
I dont see anywhere in that slide where it says you need a TBN matrix to calculate per pixel lighting. I do however see where it says that you need a TBN matrix for surface-local space lighting. I dont think that telling this guy he needs a TBN matrix is going to solve his problems. The tutorial he is looking at appears to be focusing on a basic phong lighting model and computing the results per fragment.

Perhaps this article on the phong lighting model will help some:

http://www.delphi3d.net/articles/viewarticle.php?article=phong.htm

Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement