• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
hoogie

Job interview programming test

This topic is 4631 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, I have a job interview with a games company next week and I am going to have to take a programming test as part of it. It is the first time I will have taken a programming test as part of an interview and I don’t really know what to expect. I was wondering if anyone who has taken one of these as part of an interview in the games industry could let me know what kind of things they covered? And what they were like in general? Thanks for any help

Advertisement
I've only taken one, but it [and from what I gather, they] are often along the lines of 'pick the right algorithm' quizes. Write a quick number guessing function, manipulate some char*'s, design a structure for collision detection, write a quick pathfinder for a simple map...

Look here: http://www.codesampler.com/miscsrc.htm

At the bottom of the page there are some programming tests that the author had to do in the past. Note that I don't know anything about these as I haven't downloaded them.

Hope it helps.

Quote:
Original post by Telastyn
I've only taken one, but it [and from what I gather, they] are often along the lines of 'pick the right algorithm' quizes. Write a quick number guessing function, manipulate some char*'s, design a structure for collision detection, write a quick pathfinder for a simple map...

Well I went for an interview just before xmas and was shocked to find that all the stuff I revised (maths, geometry, querky c++ stuff) I did'nt need.. they simply sat me in the office with an open source program and I had to write some code to make a car go around a track :) Dont be shocked if this happens instead, and they are mainly looking for the thought processes that you go through not the end result..

One test I took had questions where you had to identify potential errors from the given code, and provide a fix to it. Other questions were bit math, writing functions that do various things, like incrementing a number without using the increment operator (++) and the addition operators (+, +=).

Quite honestly, it's difficult to know what you're going to be facing in a test when you apply to a company for the first time. The best advice I can give is to read over the test, multiple times if necessary, BEFORE you answer any of the questions. Also, just because the questions are numbered, don't feel you have to go in order. If you're being monitored while doing the test, doing it out of order might intrigue them, and would make you much more memorable.

I’m sure there are a few threads about this here somewhere. If the test is part of the interview then a lot of times it is to test the way you approach a problem. If it’s an email test it is usually more technical (Math, coding, Graphics or whatever). Of course this was my experience in the US, not the UK…

A few technical questions for example: write code for a linked list, write some code with pointers (a lot of times its reverse a string), what is the mechanism of a virtual function.

A few thinking questions for example: they may ask you about your demo and why you chose a specific method over another, or they will pose a problem and see how you work it out.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!