Using Flash in C++ to create the interface

Started by
4 comments, last by superpig 18 years, 3 months ago
Flash allows creating fancy interfaces with animated menus and buttons. Performing the same task in C++ using DirectX or OpenGl is a lot more complicated. My goal is to render the game and place in front of the screen a layer with the flash. Is there any library that allows me to integrate flash in a DirectX or OpenGl application? So far I had found this library: http://www.tulrich.com/geekstuff/gameswf.html It output the flash into an OpenGl screen. But I need it to be in DirectX!!. Any help?
Advertisement
Doesn't Direct3D have a built in skinnable GUI system ready to go? I'm an OpenL+GL guy, but I see this GUI all the time in the d3d samples.
Quote:
Doesn't Direct3D have a built in skinnable GUI system ready to go? I'm an OpenL+GL guy, but I see this GUI all the time in the d3d samples.

Yes Direct3D have a GUI system, but Flash allows more than that. The true power of Flash is how easily animations can be created. Is not just showing GUI but making it fade when a button is touch, scrool it in a path when some option is activated, .... I want that!!!! :<
some other players are here
Quote:
some other players are here

I checked the open and closed sorce flash players an no one seems to work as a C++ library to render flash on top of a DirectX device. They mostly are applications to view/edit flash movies. :<
IIRC, Thatcher claimed that GameSWF would be pretty easy to port to DirectX. I know he used it in some Xbox titles so it must be doable.

That said, I've heard some less-than-encouraging things about gameswf in its current state - namely that it doesn't support a very large set of what's currently possible in Flash, particularly vis a vis Actionscript. Now you may decide that what it doesn't support you don't need anyway (and if you're just using it for menus and suchlike, that's probably the case), but if you do plan on using Flash's latest-and-greatest then you may need to do some work to bring it up to spec.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement