Ideas for a video game!

Started by
6 comments, last by c0uchm0nster 18 years, 3 months ago
could a game have all 9 yards in it.. say like Horror/Adventure/Action/RPG ect... all in one bc i want my game to be intresting for others to play... If you could replay plz tell me if its okay for a game to have to much genres...
Advertisement
You can do whatever you want in a game (as long as you have the technical know-how). I think that if you have a game that you think would be fun to play, often there will be others who will want to play it as well.
I think it would be fun, but it would not be economical to produce such a thing. In the effort required to produce such a game, five or six smaller ones could be made. A studio would probably make more money releasing several normal games than one all-inclusive monster game. You would also have to worry about memory requirements etc...
thx for the advise but i would like to kno if a game could be built like that because would that take toooo much space and memory to make it ?-
no it wouldn't take too much space & memory. The challenge in a game like that is with the game design not with the engineering. It would be really hard to include every game type in a game and still have that game make sense and be fun.

-me

A game of the sort you are suggesting is certainly feasible. However, asking if something like this, with the information you have provided, will 'take too much space and memory' can't really be answered (at least, not very well). A genre doesn't really specify the amount of resources a game of that type will take. For instance, if you compare an RPG that was built for the old NES 8 bit against one of the more modern RPGs, there will be a considerable difference in the computer processing power required to play them. Obviously, each type of game can be built to require a wide range of computer resources to run properly.

By trying to please everyone with your game, I feel you will likely create a game that very few people will want to play. If someone only likes the slower pace of adventure games, the action aspect of your game will likely annoy them.
I think you can do it if keep your game fairly open-ended and without a straight line plot the player must follow. However, it should be pretty much a surprise to the player as each genre comes to the fore. I think the biggest trick is to involve the imagination of the player, thats what makes the game engaging. We use our imaginations everyday; people get "spooked out" in old houses, recruits will fantasize as they run confidence courses etc. Find a way to tap into that.
Trying to include everything probably isn't the best idea. Well, let me be more specific: It's a great idea... it's bad when you get to the implementation. If you know the term "jack of all trades" - it implies someone can do everything alright, but can't do anything perfectly. If you make a jack of all trades game chances are weighed against you that it will be an average horror / average shooter / average mystery / etc; nothing great, revolutionary, or unique, other than the fact that it's made up of more unoriginal parts than other games.

However, mixing a FEW genre's can be wonderful: Deus Ex, Diablo, even smaller implementations such as adventure games with a car racing mission/mini-game can definitely supply some much appreciated variety and rekindle interest in a game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement