• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
OakWood

What qualifications are essential?

This topic is 4682 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was juast wondering what recruiters would think of someone looking for a programming job in the game industry would think if they had an aeronautical engineering degree and a fair amount of hobby work to show. Would the lack of a computer science degree hurt, or would the similar sort of mathy technical side of the engineering demonstrate enough intellect along with reasonable samples?

Advertisement
A strong portfolio is in many cases more important than the actual paper degree. The fact that you have -a- degree of any kind is helpful in getting looked at, but the primary thing is, if you have the skills you will have a good chance at getting in. I would say that if you have a few solid demos your chances are better than most, I'd suggest applying and giving it a shot. Just make sure you have a strong resume and ideally a contact within the company you're going for.

In a worst case, just fall back on your degree and apply for a flight simulator team :)

I would have to say that you would be up against many, many people who have the required degree that compaines are looking for. Although programming/art/whatever industry experience would be desirable with a degree, to someone who's just come out of university, it depends on what the company is looking for.

Having said all that, if you can code and bring something to the company, you may be lucky....stanger things have happened. [smile]

I care about two things:

Can you do the job well?
Will you fit in and not cause us grief?

If your qualifications correspond to what I'm looking for, and you look like you will fit in with our group, then we bring you in for an interview to double-check that.

If you have a good portfolio and can otherwise demonstrate that you are able to do the job, then you have the qualifications. It doesn't matter if you have been doing database programming for the past 10 years, or anything else.

The qualifications we look for depends on the job. If want a network programmer, they better know networks (regardless of the degree). If we want a sound programmer, they better know it (regarless of the degere). Having an aeronautical engineering degree would probably help if we were looking for a physics person for a flight sim, but otherwise wouldn't be a real issue.

Since you mentioned recruiters, they tend to treat the qualification list given to them as a checklist. If you say the words they are looking for, you pass their first test. If you sound reasonably intellegent and/or have demos, they tend to pass you on. Most companies consider recruiters somewhere above pond scum in the World Order. We don't like them, but there are a few jobs that they are essential for.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!