for Applications, not games

Started by
20 comments, last by GraphicsBas 18 years, 2 months ago
Hey all, My professor gave us this assignment; Create a game using Microsoft Access 2003. I had never programmed in Visual Basic nor Visual Basic for Applications so I started learning. I got it all under control now, but then I dived into creating an actual game in Access. I found that Microsoft access doesn’t support any reasonable method for creating even a simple sidescroller. Two questions: I was trying to use D3D8 but it doesn’t work because the form doesn’t show before creating the device or something. Does anyone know how to use Direct3D8 in Access 2003? And then, did anyone create a sidescroller or something in Access 2003? GBS
GBS
Advertisement
Well what did you expect???
I've never heard of Access being used for a sidescoller and I'll bet you that if it had functions to do that, it would be the downfall of MS. :)

The only reasonable way of using Access for a game is storing data in the database. Programming DirectX with VBA code is no joke it's torture.

Just build a tic-tac-toe and store the highscores in the database :)

Which school are you in?

Cheers
Quote:Original post by ernow
The only reasonable way of using Access for a game is storing data in the database. Programming DirectX with VBA code is no joke it's torture.

Assuming that VBA is the same thing as VB (never heard of VBA before) it isn't that bad. I did DX in VB6 for awhile, made some pretty neat stuff.

Granted, if you've never done it before, it'd make using it for a project a real pain as you'd have to learn it. And it can be hard at times (especially to set up).

Mhhh, a game in Access... Actually, I can see 2 types of games that could go well with that:

- The text RPG, which presents under a "form" style, with a text describing the current situation and buttons giving you choices

- Management kind of game, (could be business, football team, or whatever), where you set some data at the beginning of the turn, run your algorithm to see how the situation evolves. In the football team kind of game, you can buy players, decide in which cup you want to compete, launch an algorithm that tells you if you win or loose, and what revenues you get. Then you can buy some more players, etc.
Personally I'd recomend trying to do something like pong or breakout. It'd be rather simple to setup you can just layout image elements on the form and use the mouse for control. I'm sure there's a mouse move event you can utilise.
Quote:Original post by Mushu
Assuming that VBA is the same thing as VB...

It's not.

@GraphicsBas:
Duh, make a text game.
Along time ago I made a 'game' with excel with no programming knowledge. It just used formulas to calculate how many units I would sell from a virtual store and the 'player' would have to adjust prices/wages/advertisement/etc. to sell the most units. It had no graphics and no programming, but it was a 'game'(it had a goal, it had a challenge, it had player input). Is your professor looking for something like this since I'm pretty sure that Acess could be used to create something like that too?

Edit:didn't read small_duck's post, but the second suggestion is pretty much what I am talking about.
Quote:Original post by Mushu
Quote:Original post by ernow

Assuming that VBA is the same thing as VB (never heard of VBA before) it isn't that bad. I did DX in VB6 for awhile, made some pretty neat stuff.

Granted, if you've never done it before, it'd make using it for a project a real pain as you'd have to learn it. And it can be hard at times (especially to set up).

VB and VBA are entirely different. VB is multiple purpose. VBA is Visual Basic for Applications. It's not meant to really deal with anything other than the extreme basics.
Would this be like Pacelman - Pacman for Excel?
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
I got directx online in VBA(yes, Visual basic for applications)! The only thing that didn't work was rendering! :S Well I gave up on that.

I looked for many things I would be able to make in VBA, but eventually I got an idea. Do you remember the game gorillas, in qbasic? Well I cloned it in VBA access. And I've got to say it looks pretty nice! (for access)

I'll post screenshots when I have one!

GBS
GBS

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement