for Applications, not games

Started by
20 comments, last by GraphicsBas 18 years, 2 months ago
Your professor sounds like a bit of a sadist though..... creating a game is tricky enough in a real language, never mind one as cut down as VBA.
Advertisement
My guess is your teacher is just looking for some sort of simulation, guess the number game, or the like.

EDIT:

Also, if the teacher is teaching you VBA and Access or whatnot, do you really think shes going to give you bonus points if you use DirectX? Probably not. He/She is probably looking for your knowledge of using Access and/or VBA. Dont get caught in something too big and not getting it done if its for school (i have done that before)
Your are missing the benefits of the given tool... Access in this case. Instead of trying to do something that this tools is not designed to do, focus in the things you really can do.

I.E. You can do a text based RPG. Like the old Hitchhikers Guide to Galaxy or Zork. You could desing a little game that takes you from a place to other and describes the environment in each moment. Like:

-----------------------------------------------
You are standing in a tavern. A fat bartender is cleaning the tables and a not really pretty barmaid is serving some drinks.
You are hungry.
There is a door to the west.
There is a window to the north.
There are stairs to the south.
----------------------------------------------

So you enter:
west

The game looks into the DB and finds west is a street. So it writes:

-------------------------------------------------
The lamp in the front of the 'Red Dragon Inn' allows to see only some meters before the darkness of the moonlees light devours it.
You hear a moaning that comes from a nearby alley to the north.
There is a door to the east.
There is an alley to the north.
There is a street to the south.
----------------------------------------------

So you enter:
>Draw sword

--------------------------------------------
You draw your sword and feel the cold steel in your hand. You feel more confident.
You hear a moaning that comes from a nearby alley to the north.
There is a door to the east.
There is an alley to the north.
There is a street to the south.
-------------------------------------------

And so on. There are lots of games of this type and I'm sure you can program a simple one for your assignment.

Other games that make heavy use of a DB are games like HatTrick.

Luck!
Guimo

Quote:Original post by PaulCesar
Also, if the teacher is teaching you VBA and Access or whatnot, do you really think shes going to give you bonus points if you use DirectX? Probably not. He/She is probably looking for your knowledge of using Access and/or VBA. Dont get caught in something too big and not getting it done if its for school (i have done that before)

You are right, I didn't see that at first. I Got directx out of my head, it's just to complicated. (And it also didn't work :D)

Quote:
Your professor sounds like a bit of a sadist though..... creating a game is tricky enough in a real language, never mind one as cut down as VBA.

That's the whole point isn't it. He wants to see how we handle the situation.

Quote:
Your are missing the benefits of the given tool... Access in this case. Instead of trying to do something that this tools is not designed to do, focus in the things you really can do.

My prof also gave me the following instructions: Player must be able to change some parameters and it must use a physical model like rigid body dynamics. How can I implement this in a text based game?

GBS
GBS
Curling?
I say again, in ACCESS? *shakes head and walks away amazed*
Sounds weird.

Aren't Access a program used for setting up and using databases? Are you sure he didn't mean that you should make a game using a database made with Access?
Maybe this guy has bought into the concept of "a database being at the core of almost every game"? While I know that's essentially true, I've never seen it taken so literally.

I was under the impression that while VBA is an ok language, it sucks for anything that's more than slightly complex...
I told you I would post a screenshot. Here it is so far

First screenshot available

Quote:Original post by Cinder
Aren't Access a program used for setting up and using databases? Are you sure he didn't mean that you should make a game using a database made with Access?

Well it sure isn't a must. We could make whatever we wanted (as long as it's game\model like). I'm planning to actually using a database for a highscore list or something, but not for difficult things.

Quote:Original post by MrTufty
I was under the impression that while VBA is an ok language, it sucks for anything that's more than slightly complex...

That's correct, VBA is quite usefull, but I always get stuck on more advanced topics.

Btw. Your goal in the game is to destroy your opponent. You can choose an angle and a force. Press Throw and voilla, your character outputs a yellow ball, which should (if you entered the right values) hit you opponent.

Tell me if you like the shot! :)

GBS'

p.s. never mind me drawing..

[Edited by - GraphicsBas on January 28, 2006 8:39:42 AM]
GBS
I'm quite impressed you managed to get that much out of VBA and Access, so well done :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement