• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Hero Atanque

oppinion? 3D Studio Max vs Miya 3D program

This topic is 4564 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
I believe you are talking about Maya. Both would be good to know if you want to get in the industry. Although Max is really expensive while Maya offeres a free learning edition which is nice because you can check out the program without spending anything. Blender and Milkshape are also 3D programs that you might watn to check out. They are very inexpensive as well.

And Autocad is a completely different program which is used for engineering purposes. It has a couple of things in common with 3DS Max and Maya, but it is not used by the same people, and you certainly don't need to know how to use it to do 3D modelling.

Both programs are pretty powerful and very popular in the industry. 3DS Max has a slight edge in popularity but Maya's use has grown rapidly in recent years. You can't go wrong with either one.

Just to clarify something SKATIN_HARD said -- Milkshape 3D is available as shareware for a modest sum. Blender 2.40 (current iteration) is free under the GPL, so if you have no money and aren't interested in 3D content generation just to learn the environment (e.g. people learn Max so they have a head start in industry) then Blender is one of the easiest ways to create stuff for games. It also allows for animation, some physics integration and even some sound integration if I recall correctly. That said, some people dislike blender because of its user interface -- that's a matter of opinion, but if you want something that can export in useful formats (unlike Maya personal learning edition which won't let you export in any commercial formats) then Blender's good.

That's my two cents :)

~Shiny.

Quote:
Original post by Shiny
That said, some people dislike blender because of its user interface -- that's a matter of opinion

It's a pretty popular opinion too i think, i've never met anyone who really _likes_ the interface to Blender. :)

If i had the time, i would definitely go learn Blender, it is free and ive seen some impressive things done with it.

I use both maya and max for several years.

Maya is professional soft. it use for 3d animation.it is stable and easy to expand. and operation well etc....

3DMAX is not stable soft.its plugin provide mostly function.it is used mainly in architecture effect presentation.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!