oppinion? 3D Studio Max vs Miya 3D program

Started by
3 comments, last by Sillious 18 years, 2 months ago
My brother said 3d is better but my friends say Miya is better im confused and i still need to learn autocad tell me which 1 is better.?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Hero Atanque
My brother said 3d is better but my friends say Miya is better im confused and i still need to learn autocad tell me which 1 is better.?

There is an education version of Maya available for free that you can use for noncommercial purposes. I don't know of a free version of 3D Studio Max. I don't know what either of them has to do with Autodesk's AutoCAD, other than Autodesk buying their companies.
Neither is better really... one might do something slightly better than the other and vice versa. However, I do know that most of the artists I know much prefer to use max, even if they've been using Maya for years professionally. There are some hard core folks out there that prefer Maya, and I think it really has to do with how your brain is wired up. I spent over 8 hours with Maya tutorials and could never figure it out, but Max came pretty naturally (I'm a programmer, btw, not an artist).

Having used AutoCAD since the mid-80s (anybody remember swapping overlay floppies all the time with that?) Don't know what AutoCAD has to do with it, except that AutoCAD and Max are published by the same company. AutoCAD is mainly a 2D drafting program typically used by engineers and architects. It really has no place in game development.
Quote:Original post by krum
Having used AutoCAD since the mid-80s (anybody remember swapping overlay floppies all the time with that?) Don't know what AutoCAD has to do with it, except that AutoCAD and Max are published by the same company. AutoCAD is mainly a 2D drafting program typically used by engineers and architects. It really has no place in game development.

Yes, I remember that. [smile]

Autodesk bought Alias a few months back, in addition to Discreet quite some time ago. So now they own both products.

3DS has 2 versions. 3DS Max for 3D animation & rendering and 3DS VIZ, which is the 3D Architectural drawing and rendering software. So, it make sense that AutoDesk now publishes both AutoCAD and 3DS / Viz, because AutoCAD is the 2D architectural version, whereas, 3DS Viz is the 3D.

BTW, 3DS vs Maya? Maya is now used in more movies than 3DS, but Maya is very hard to navigate, there are layer upon layer of trees to manipulate ojbect/mesh/what not. It's all upto the user and how fast you can get used to it. Personally I prefer 3DS as there are tons of plugins available and its easier to use than Maya. But, both are powerful!

There are other great (to some folks, better than either Maya or 3DS) animation progs available. LightWave 3D 8, Cinema 4D, Rhino (Rhinocerous), Houdini Master, Animation Master, to name a few.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement