• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
willthiswork89

Next step?

This topic is 4509 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

im trying to further my knowledge as i progress learning things... i now am very comfertable with sdl and could probably type pong with my eyes closed. but whats next? i never finished algera but am doing it next semester. so will that math limitation be a...limitation to my learning opengl or what ever language i should leanr next?

Advertisement
I would suggest writing some more basic games in SDL to get more experience. If you are capable of making pong, you already have all the math you will need to write more games in SDL(without OpenGL). I believe OpenGL would require some basic knowledge of Geometry, though.

Quote:

and could probably type pong with my eyes closed

So do it.

Getting stuff done is often what differentiates beginners.

I'd just keep making games in SDL. Pick a favourite arcade game (may I recommend Jackal?) and start trying to clone it with SDL. You probably aren't to the point of programming expertise yet that you can work easily with OpenGL or advanced game logic.

Get a few more games under your belt before you start moving to different libraries -- experience is what makes okay programmers great.

make a few different types of games as well. dont just limit yourself to one of the first games ever created :P.

perhaps a 2d side scroller. top/down type game. or even puzzle games. most of the puzzle games are still 2d and extremely fun to play. give those a shot :)

*EDIT*
opengl uses more than just geometry too :P

A strong grounding in Linear Algebra will help you immensely when it comes to 3D graphics work. If you don't have one, then you will probably find getting to grips with Direct3D/OpenGL more difficult that it would otherwise be, because you'll find yourself having to learn the Linear Algebra concepts anyway but you won't have a formal framework for them.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!