Original sources of common Collision Detection methods?

Started by
5 comments, last by grhodes_at_work 18 years, 3 months ago
I was wondering who invented some of the common use Collision Detection method's often recommended here on gamedev.net For example space partitioning with grids to reduce O(n^2) collisions down to O(nk)? or using quad or octtrees to cull possible collisions between many objects? or sphere bounding voluemes around complicated shapes? Any that I missed? Lots of this is kinda commom knowlege on these forums, to the point that there is a loss of academic formality/credibility when it comes time to write about it; I'm doing a little background research on CD methods to compare with a new one I think I've invented and want to write about... So can anyone point me to the real sources? Thanks
Advertisement
Well, the best way is to find books and papers about it, and look at their bibliographies. Then read those sources, and look at their bibliographies, rinse, repeat.

Or, contact an author or two and ask them.

Maybe a good place to start is here:

http://www.cs.unc.edu/~dm/collision.html
We''re sorry, but you don''t have the clearance to read this post. Please exit your browser at this time. (Code 23)
What a coincidence!
I was looking through that very site earlier. My proff recommended them.
Tell me, is this purely a coincidence, or are these guys at UNC considered the 'bleeding edge' or 'authority' for collision detection research?
UNC Chapel Hill has LONG been the bleeding edge of collision detection research...
There's a reason why Epic is located just next to Railey, NC. :)

Allan
------------------------------ BOOMZAPTry our latest game, Jewels of Cleopatra
Quote:Original post by __ODIN__
LONG been the bleeding edge

Hmmmh, so if my new algorithm idea doesn't show up in their papers(and it doesnt) Then either I have something new, or its actually quite bad and falls under their radar.

Any way to quantify 'bleeding edge' for the purposes of writing a paper? Perhaps theres a free database someplace that can tell me how many times they've been cited by other researchers in the field?
CiteSeer is always a good bet for acad papers
http://www.researchindex.org/

If you've fully thought it out, and done your research to avoid the obvious mistakes, you COULD try talking to one of the profs there. I'd be a little humble, though; it's quite possible that what you have in mind already exists.

There are very few truely unqiue developments in research topics like this, where armies of desperate PhD students scurry around to carve out their 2"x2" of spot of 'unique research').

Best of luck,

Allan

[errata: minor language correction]
------------------------------ BOOMZAPTry our latest game, Jewels of Cleopatra
This is not the original source, but a HIGHLY recommended resource:

"Real-Time Collision Detection" by Christer Ericson

I have a thousand books. But this book is one that earned a spot on my desk rather than my bookshelf.

There is a website to go along with it:

realtimecollisiondetection.net
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement