C/C++ programming - game programming

Started by
7 comments, last by MaulingMonkey 18 years, 3 months ago
hi. i kind of want to learn C or C++ but i'm afraid that if i learn one of the languages, i won't be able to implement it into game programming. All C/C++ game programmers plz tell me what you did to learn or tell me how you implemented C/C++ into game programming if u learned how to just do some regular programming first. i nvr post in the beginner's section becuz i nvr get answered :~/
[insert witty comment here]
Advertisement
First learn the language, and learn it well. From there you will see how game programming fits in.
Most videogames you play right now are made in c++. The language is used to tell the processor what to do (sorta).

Use better grammer if you want to be taken more seriously.
after learning the language some don't understand the basics which has nothing to do with learning the code i would first study up on computer science and learn what make software tick...I am in the process of wirting some articals about game programming but it wont be upload to the web until i get through with the first series.
Bring more Pain
Quote:Use better grammer if you want to be taken more seriously.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
Quote:
i nvr post in the beginner's section becuz i nvr get answered :~/

As two others have said so far, use better grammer for a better experience.
There is much too learn. I would suggest a starter book such as the learn C++ in 21 days type books. If you go to Amazon.com and look at various book vendors you will note that many have varied amounts of computer science books. Try and find one vendor that has a beginners book, intermediate and an advanced book, preferably "Generic C++". Your going to need a compiler, dont bother to mess around, get Microsofts.

As some here suggested you might want to try and locate some books as well (preferably from the same vendor) that discuss data constructs, object model creation etc.

Its not just learning the language.

I have taught quite a few people and/or assisted them over my 25+ years of coding how to be effective in programming and design. Consider a computer program like a scale plastic model. It is made up of pieces and sub-assemblys. Each part has its place within these assembly's and each assembly its part in the entire model.

Granted, in game programming things have come a long ways in short years. I opted out of game programming in the early 1990's. When I was active I worked with Dynamix, Atari corp., Quantum Microsystems inc., Data East and several others. These were the days when it was truly fun and one could as a member of a small team make some dough... When home computer games really took off it became a fairly high pressure, high revenue and constant job. With royalties being what they became I found more profitable waters in database programming for collections, banking, insurance networks etc.

But start with learning the basics, control structures, on and on. You can code games fairly quickly albeit perhaps rudimentary ones such as hi-lo games, tic-tac-toe, text based adventures etc. The key is the more you code the better you will get and the more proficient you become the better the compexity of your games.
The OP is more likely to take your criticism if you actually spelt grammar correctly!
Quote:Original post by IN1L8
plz tell me what you did to learn

I dove in. Start with hello world and expand. Yes, Game Programming is a subset of Programming. Once you know the basics, you can start working on more interesting things - specialized things. For games programming, one of the first steps is most likely a Graphics API like OpenGL, DirectX, or SDL. For webpage programming, you'd probably look into Database APIs.

Even if they don't relate directly to your field, just programming at all exercises the logic skills needed to successfully divide up a project in a logical and mantainable fashion.

And it's not like after 10 years of studying Database theory and application are going to prevent you from learning game programming later. Your fear is unfounded.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement