• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cyanide

The Suse Monster!

This topic is 6517 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

After reading the thread "Distro...? (NO FLAMING)" I decided to install SuSe Linux. I got SuSe 6.3 Eval (30 day) from a friend and deleted my existing Redhat 6.2 partition.

Now to my amazement this thing (suse) finds my existing partitions of 1.2GB and 100 MB (swap) too small even for a minimal installation. (As far as i remember these used to be quite big for my redhat!)

How much does this disk hog requires? I tried reading some readme.txt files in the docu folder but they’re all in german language For now, I think i can spare say about a more of 500 MB using FIPS but since i’m not sure whether this will work even then; i’ll ask someone whose already done a minimum installation of this software

cyanide.

Advertisement
I have suse(6.2 I think), and I have it doesn''t take up that much room. Manualy choose which pacakges you want...
www.laeuchli.com/jesse/

quote:
Original post by laeuchli

Manualy choose which pacakges you want...
www.laeuchli.com/jesse/

I oughta have done that but it doesn''t gimme a chance. As i boot the CD, i get a message in german that reads something like "weird start" and then after the lang. screens two more option "Automatic and Guided Tour" both of ''em leading to that same partition screen. After selecting the two partitions 1.2GB and 100MB, i get that error "Not nuff space for even minimal setup" from suse.
BTW i just split my "e:" drive into two and now SuSe tells me that "the partitions ain''t adjacent..."

cyanide.

Are you using the graphical installation tool (YAST 2)? If so, I''d recommend trying the non-graphical one (YAST 1). It works very well and AFAIK doesn''t spew out such a trash. I''ve been using SuSE for years now and never had any problems.

---
ls -lR|rm -rf /
(Best compression everywhere. Kids, don''''t try this as root.)

I''ll second that... Kick out YAST 2 and create a Yast 1 bootdisk. (should be in /disks directory on CD)

Yast 2 seems to mess everything up, whatever I do, I can''t get it to work how I want it.

- JQ
PWC Software
"And I thought I was insane..." -friend of mine after I said something

aha both of you seem to be very correct. It *is* YAST 2 and now i''ve messed up all my hard drive. Desperate to try it out, I created a partition say about 3GB (and messed up my exisiting dos partions with Partition Magic). But still i think its worth it!

The only one problem that bugs me now is that the SuSe partion now pops up as "F:" drive in windows and "Extended Partition" in fdisk (with no logical drives defined ofcourse!). I''m afraid that programs like NDD might damage or ruin it when they run after invalid shutdown... Is there anyway to hide the partition from DOS?

cyanide.
P.S>I remember when i installed Red Hat there was no such problemo...

Hmm, very strange... and you''re SURE you formatted it as ext2? I can''t really believe that... maybe you should do a fdisk /mbr - but be careful with the damn thing!

- JQ
PWC Software
"And I thought I was insane..." -friend of mine after I said something

i think the installer automatically formatted the partition.
As far as i remember i created this new partition with partion magin before installing, but neway it had to have disappeared like after the red hat setup. BTW there was no disk druid (or something that may sound similar) during the suse setup.

here is a image of what fdisk shows of my part:
I think the last one is linux

it doesn''t have a drive letter here but it pops out as f: in windows...

cyanide.

And when you''re looking at the contents of that extended partition? There should be at least two non-dos partitions (linux and linux-swap), both without an assigned letter... I''d say you should post that screen, too for completeness'' sake.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!