hight map

Started by
4 comments, last by skanatic 18 years, 2 months ago
I made a 256X256 hight map in an editor and saved it as a raw file. But when I try to view it using the NeHe hight map tutorial I get a small and very spiky map were in the editor viewer it had nice rolling hills. Why does this happen? Thanks.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true." -- Professor Robert Silensky
Advertisement
I'm going to presume that you're using Lesson 34. What you need to do is at the very beginning of the program there are some #defines:
#define STEP_SIZE    16#define HEIGHT_RATIO 1.5f
Try increasing the size of STEP_SIZE to get a larger on-screen rendering of the heightmap and then try lowering HEIGHT_RATIO to get a smoother finish.

If neither of these work then you're going to have to tell us what tutorial you're using, what editor it looks smooth in and some screeshots would be very useful indeed.

Best of luck.
--
Cheers,
Darren Clark
I am using a 128X128 map with step size 10-20 and hightratio 0.5.

In the terrain editor it looks like this (with texture):

Image hosting by Photobucket

and in lesson 34 it looks like this :(

Image hosting by Photobucket
Do you know what to do?
How can I get the mountains to be that smooth?
Thanks

EDIT: I think that the problem is that with the big step count there just aren't enough polys. But when I made it small the I jusk got spiky mountians? (Same as the second pic but more mountians and spikier.)

[Edited by - daniel_i_l on January 28, 2006 6:36:57 PM]
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true." -- Professor Robert Silensky
Does anyone know what the problem is?
Thanks.
Have you tried resizing the map to 1024 or changing MAP_SIZE to 256.

otherwise i don't know, it could be that the data is stored the wrong way in the raw or that the data lookup is wrong.
Could it be that NeHe is only using every other (or 4:th) height value?

EDIT: I belive I had the same problem a long time ago when I did the tutorial too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement