std::sort

Started by
24 comments, last by daniel_i_l 18 years, 2 months ago
A while ago I posted problems with qsort() and was told to use std::sort. I did that and I still get some errors that I can't understand. I have a class unit:

class unit{
public:
 unit();
 int place_on_path,length_of_path;
 bool got_to_dest,path_found;
 int state;
 int formation_id;
 VERTEX position;
 VERTEX speed;
 float rotation;
 void init();
 void draw();
 void update();
 void InitPath();
 void FindSpeeds(grid now,grid next);
 grid path[500];
 grid current_step,next_step,offset; 
};

and a group class:

class player_group{
public:
 //typedef int (*compfn)(const void*, const void*);
 player_group();
 vector<unit>units;
 unit mid_pos;
 grid main_path[500];
 int place_on_path,length_of_path;
 int middle_man;

void SortUnits(int method);
 bool SortDis( struct unit *elem1, struct unit *elem2);
 bool SortDisMid( struct unit *elem1, struct unit *elem2);
};

With the SortUnits function I want to sort the units vector according to the method. For example, inorder to sort them from closest to main_path to furthest from main_path I used the function:

bool player_group :: SortDis( struct unit *elem1, struct unit *elem2)
{
 if(  abs(elem1->next_step.x-main_path[place_on_path+step].x)+
      abs(elem1->next_step.y-main_path[place_on_path+step].y)
     <abs(elem2->next_step.x-main_path[place_on_path+step].x)+
      abs(elem2->next_step.y-main_path[place_on_path+step].y))			
      return FALSE;																					
   else										
      return TRUE;	
}

and then for the SortUnits I did:

void player_group :: SortUnits(int method)
{

if(method==0)
  {
   sort(units.begin(), units.end(), SortDis());
  }
  if(method==1)
  {
  sort(units.begin(), units.end(), SortDisMid());
  }
}

But I got the error messages: PGroup.cpp C:\Dev-Cpp\Examples\ctf\PGroup.cpp In member function `void player_group::SortUnits(int)': 170 C:\Dev-Cpp\Examples\ctf\PGroup.cpp no matching function for call to `player_group::SortDis()' 55 C:\Dev-Cpp\Examples\ctf\PGroup.cpp candidates are: bool player_group::SortDis(unit*, unit*) What is the problem? Thanks!!
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true." -- Professor Robert Silensky
Advertisement
Your units vector is declared as std::vector<unit> not vector<unit *> so your sort predicate will expect the parameters to be unit, not unit*.
"Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own." - Lee Jun Fan
I changed the bool Sort functions to:

bool SortDis( struct unit elem1, struct unit elem2);

and changed the -> to '.' .
It still gave the same errors.
Thank.

EDIT: It looks from the errors that the problem is in the fact that I'm writing SortDis() without the elem1 and elem2 in the (), what should I do?
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true." -- Professor Robert Silensky
make your sort routines static or make them global to make it work. Sort requires a binary function, means 2 arguments. BUT if you declare a memberfunction nonstatic it has 3 arguments, of which one is hidden (the this pointer). Also a pointer to a memberfunction is a bit different than a pointer to a 'global' function...afaik thats also why people invented delegates, so they can call memberfunctions of instances of classes (but thats a different story...)

ok the next thing you should make is, if you are programming 'const' correct you should make the params const

edit: eww yes your edit indicates another 'error' std::sort(units.begin(), units.end(), yoursortfunc_without_brackets);

T2k
Thanks, can you show me with some code how I can make the sort function part of the player_group class so that I can use it's variables in the function?
Thanks.
There is code here for dealing with pointers to member functions (which is what you'll be passing), and plenty of other useful info too.
Here is a good (although somewhat long-winded) explanation of how to use std::sort...

http://www.thecodeproject.com/vcpp/stl/stdsort.asp

I read the link and did this:
struct SortDis : public player_group{ bool operator()(unit*& elem1, unit*& elem2)   {    return   abs(elem1->next_step.x-main_path[place_on_path+1].x)+             abs(elem1->next_step.y-main_path[place_on_path+1].y)          <  abs(elem2->next_step.x-main_path[place_on_path+1].x)+             abs(elem2->next_step.y-main_path[place_on_path+1].y) ;	   }};

I still got just about the same errors!? Does anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks!!
Quote:Original post by daniel_i_l
I read the link and did this:
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Quote:Original post by JY
Your units vector is declared as std::vector<unit> not vector<unit *> so your sort predicate will expect the parameters to be unit, not unit*.

//BAD!!!              v               vbool operator()( unit * & elem1, unit * & elem2 )//BAD!!!              ^               ^//GOOD!!!            v             vbool operator()( unit & elem1, unit & elem2 )//GOOD!!!            ^             ^//EXTRA CREDIT!  vvvvv               vvvvv                vvvvvbool operator()( const unit & elem1, const unit & elem2 ) const//EXTRA CREDIT!  ^^^^^               ^^^^^                ^^^^^

/* Rationale: This is an issue of const correctness. consts #1 and #2 mean we
* won't modify our arguments, and thus it's OK to pass our function const
* objects. Non-const objects are also fine. Note that by doing this,
* assignments such as "elem1.next_step = ..." will generate compiler errors,
* since elem1 is const. This is to prevent a mistake - a good thing in this
* case! Const #3 tells the compiler that the function itself isn't modifying
* anything of it's owning class - thus this becomes legal:
* const SortDis sorter;
* bool unit1_before_unit2 = sorter( unit1 , unit2 );
* As is, the above code will fail, because operator() is not const, and thus
* cannot be called for a const SortDis (as sorter is).
*/

//BAD!!               vv             abs(elem1->blah)+             abs(elem1->blah)          <  abs(elem2->blah)+             abs(elem2->blah) ;	//BAD!!!              ^^//GOOD!!              v             abs(elem1.blah)+             abs(elem1.blah)          <  abs(elem2.blah)+             abs(elem2.blah) ;	//GOOD!!!             ^

[Edited by - MaulingMonkey on January 27, 2006 1:58:24 AM]
Thanks, now my program atleast compiles but I have another problem. Originally I stored the units in an array. Then I changed them to a vector and changed the sort function as you said, but now my program crashes. Is there anything else that I have to modify? (in general)
Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement